Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can find is the yaban/ybn and I am having trouble finding one in the US. I am looking for a half link chain in gold, preferably with hollow pins and slotted links. Any help would be appreciated. Chain needs to be gold. Anyone have other reccomendations? I've also been looking at the kmc 710sl and 810sl.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My best guess is look at danscomp.com and other BMX suppliers. I've seen 1/8 colored half-link chains for BMX

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Why do you want a whole chain made from half links? Anything beyond a single half link in a single speed's chain is just dead, useless weight.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Why do you want a whole chain made from half links? Anything beyond a single half link in a single speed's chain is just dead, useless weight.
Hey, he just wants a gold half link, why does it matter? They are kinda difficult to work on, but can be quite strong and do look awesome.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Question regarding half-link chains in general. Are they prone to stretch more than a standard chain?

It seems like the kinked side plates would want to straighten out causing bad stretch.

They do look kinda cool though...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah, I ran a TSC half link on my BMX for about a year. Mine got far dirtier than standard chains, but it was pretty strong and looked sweet.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
davesauvageau said:
Hey, he just wants a gold half link, why does it matter?
Because it's the interwebs and I'm allowed to voice my opinion?

As I said before, there's no need for a half link chain on a single speed (some specific BMX applications excepted), and you're only adding a lot of weight for something which looks cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I ran a half link for a little while but it wouldn't let me run the g-sport hub so went to the kmc hx510....great chain. Half Links chains are great for dialling in perfect chainstay length....i run the rear wheel slammed. While full link chains can run one half link to do the same....the one I bought was terribly weak and literally the proverbial weak link in the chain.....the superstar half link looks more credible and I'll try it out soon......

Half link or full link? Well each has it's uses/limitations...let your purpose dictate your decision

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
mwc1 said:
While full link chains can run one half link to do the same...
Truth.

mwc1 said:
the one I bought was terribly weak and literally the proverbial weak link in the chain.....
Not all half links are created equal. The most widely available one, the KMC, is rubbish, and not worth using. The one you want is the Gusset half link, which uses a proper bushingless design and peened pins.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22297&category=59

Since the Gusset half link, even though it's 3/32, is just a hair too wide to connect into a Shimano or SRAM 3/32 chain, just use two KMC Z610HX-C/L master links to connect it all together. They're very strong and are nickel plated.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CVW56/ref=oss_T15_product

A Gusset half link spliced in with the KMC master links will NOT be the weakest part of your chain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts