Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My searching says that the frame I want does not exist, but maybe the mtbr wisdom knows something I don't.

I ride a Paradox and love it. Geo and fit is exactly what I want with a 120mm fork (Reba Team u-turn) and 60mm stem. But, I'm running it as a singlespeed (32x21 is a magic gear, then once the chain stretches 32x22 keeps the chain snug) and don't want to use a tensioner. The whole point of SS is the simplicity and not having any dangly bits.

So, do I have any options for an off-the-shelf frame that has sub 17" stays, relatively slack HA (68 or 69 with 120 fork), low BB, ability to run big tires, and is SS compatible? I'd like it if it's in the same price range as the Paradox, too. Custom frame is not an option.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
appleSSeed said:
What's the expected msrp on the nimble nine?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they anticipated trying to keep it about the same as the Yelli ($600ish).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd thought about the nimble 9. I recall reading rumors about it being slightly more XC oriented than the Yelli, though. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
smelly said:
I'd thought about the nimble 9. I recall reading rumors about it being slightly more XC oriented than the Yelli, though. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Geo appears to be the same between the two, other than the adjustable chainstay length of the Nimble. Yelli is probably more AM simply because of the tapered headtube and stiffer (because of the larger diameter) aluminum tubing

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I have no idea when it will be available or what the geo will be like - but Kona will have something coming out for late 2011 or early 2012.

What about one of those Forward Components eccentric bb insert dealios?? Could that be your answer to getting SS capabilities out of your Paradox?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never heard of this Forward Components doodad, but Google search says it could be the $160 solution to my problem if it didn't only works with 68mm shells. Says it'll work just fine with my XT cranks, though.
I suspect that the width of this doofelator basically changes your shell with from 68 to 73mm. I guess I could spend an hour with the facing tool and grind my bb shell down to 68, but I'd rather manufacturers pulled their heads out of their butts and didn't all make the same frame. Maybe it's time for me to head over to the frame building forum and learn to make this thing myself....

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
smelly said:
Never heard of this Forward Components doodad, but Google search says it could be the $160 solution to my problem if it didn't only works with 68mm shells. Says it'll work just fine with my XT cranks, though.
I suspect that the width of this doofelator basically changes your shell with from 68 to 73mm. I guess I could spend an hour with the facing tool and grind my bb shell down to 68, but I'd rather manufacturers pulled their heads out of their butts and didn't all make the same frame. Maybe it's time for me to head over to the frame building forum and learn to make this thing myself....
The FC EBB should work with XT cranks and 73mm shell if you shave down the mounting holes for the granny ring bolts. I've seen pictures before of Shimano cranks setup like this, but it's worth confirming with the FC guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.