Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new fork, or at least a change of spring in the fork. I've had a 2013 Rockhopper Comp 29 (Specialized Bicycle Components) for about a year now and the fork just isn't soft enough for me, even with preload adjusted all the way. I've looked around and I think I either want a Manitou Tower Pro, Minute Pro, or a Rockshox Reba RL. The problem is that I don't really know the difference between a Tower and Minute, because from previous posts I've determined I would probably want a Manitou more. The problem I have with the current fork on the bike (Rockshox XC28) is that I only weigh about 120 pounds (I'm 17 and 5'7") and I don't think the fork is right for me. So I would like to know what the difference between the tower and minute are, or should I just buy a softer spring for the XC28 and try to install it myself? I'm also a bit confused at which size would fit my bike.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
Rockshox has a silver x-soft spring for riders under 140lbs.
If this was bought new---
Get the xxXxx who sold you the bike to order that spring for you. The shop was lazy and negligent to deliver the bike without the correct spring.
The Manitou Tower Pro is an awesome fork. But you still need a small spring in soft(or x-soft) for the air spring system.

·
1,711 Posts
I'll second the above statement. Your LBS may make you still pay for a new spring... but I would try that first as it would be much cheaper than a new fork. If you don't want to do that, air forks are 100% the way to go as you can tailor them to your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll buy the spring and try to have them replace it for free, since it's been so long since I bought the bike (mid June last year). Would I be getting the 100mm or 80mm variant? The specialized website says 80mm&100mm, but I'm not sure what that means.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Depends on how the fork is set up.
Your LBS can check it and order the right part.
Or, go back to the original paperwork you got with the bike. Though, most are set to 80 mm from the factory. So, w/out knowing more I'd guess 80 mm

·
Registered
837 Posts
Probably is just that easy - just follow the instructions in the manual. There is probably a spacer to remove along w/ the 80 mm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found another forum where somebody looked at the parts diagram and there was no difference between the 100mm and 80mm springs. The parts are also listed as spring/spacer kits, so I'm assuming that I probably could upgrade to 100mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts