Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
Hello people!
Good you lend us a hand in deciding what to get? I have just sold my M2 SJ HT of 7 years (sob!) and am looking to replace it with an "all day" bike. I have so far test rode a SJ 120 Expert in Large, but I felt it was too "slow" ie it did not roll quick enuff. I dont know if it was the tires or the suspension or both. But I wasnt convinced by the spec either, the chainset in particular seemed cheap. I weigh 250 lbs/ 109KG and am 6ft 2" so I do want something that I am not going to break, I am based in the UK and mainly ride XC, no hucking, etc I am considering looking at a Marin Mount Vision/ Cove Hustler / Kona Dawg Deluxe or King Kik, I also spotted some Iron horse recommendations, but they seem to be thin on hte ground in the UK.
Thanks For your input.
Bloody Confused Orphan :( Biker
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Add to your list the VPP bikes, Blur, 5.5. From what owners of these bikes say, they pedal the closest to a HT.

You will get a ton of opinions on what to buy. The bottom line is base your decision on riding them, then decide what "you" like.

Good Luck!
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
DW-Link, New Giant Maestro

stumpy98 said:
Cheers S-Works,
I think the Blur might be a bit pricey, but I suppose your right about VPP bikes. Do you know of any cheaper examples?
I read an interview with the designer of Ironhorse's DW-link. I don't know much about the bikes other than that interview, People who have them seem to like them alot. The new Giant maestro apparently had to adjust the design during development because of patent infringement with VPP. So, you may want to check those two out as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Interesting..... Most reports on the SJ120 say it is really fast for a 5 inch travel bike.

Perhaps the issue is looking for both a "fast" and "all day" bike. Plusher bikes with lots of travel are not likely to feel as fast as an SJ hardtail, and you might have to compromise one for the other, though some of that might simply be the suspension dampening the vibration of the wheels that comes with speed. For example, my buddy has a 2002 Enduro--your classic 'all day' bike. It is absolutely lovely on the rough terrain and descents, but slow on your standard cross country terrain and goes at a snail's pace on climbs. Overall, I crushed him on every ride on my old 2000 Rockhopper and crush him now on my 2004 SJ 100, even though we are not that far off one another in terms of conditioning. He rides my bike and I ride his, and he crushes me.

If you want fast, I would think you would be better off looking at an SJ 100, which has 4 inches of travel and an optional lock out on the Triad shock, or the Epic. The Trek Fuel 100 is a very, very fast bike, but also has a huge price tag. A Fuel 98? Apparantly the 2004 S-works Enduro has 5 inches of travel and a brain, and I have only heard good things about it.

Good luck with your bike shopping. I honestly wish I was doing it again.
 

·
Riding dirt since 1970
Joined
·
593 Posts
Santa Cruz Heckler W 5th Element coil (Ti sprung if you can afford it)

...You can tune this shock to ride any way you want it to. Had my 5th for 2 years and love it :)
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Breznak said:
If you want fast, I would think you would be better off looking at an SJ 100, which has 4 inches of travel and an optional lock out on the Triad shock, or the Epic. The Trek Fuel 100 is a very, very fast bike, but also has a huge price tag. A Fuel 98? Apparantly the 2004 S-works Enduro has 5 inches of travel and a brain, and I have only heard good things about it.

Good luck with your bike shopping. I honestly wish I was doing it again.
Great Point! I completely forgot about the Epic. That's where you want to look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I was in your shoes... Had an '94 M2 Team. The Epic is nice, coming off the hard tail that's going to feel really plush. I ride with a guy(200pounds,6') that did over 3K miles last year on one and it's held up well.

I wanted the same thing but with 5" of travel and very stout, I'm 6'4" and 235. I ended up on the "04 S-works Enduro. 5" of travel with the Brain so it is stiff when climbing. If you can find one of the '04's like mine I'd recomend it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments everyone

Chutist said:
I was in your shoes... Had an '94 M2 Team. The Epic is nice, coming off the hard tail that's going to feel really plush. I ride with a guy(200pounds,6') that did over 3K miles last year on one and it's held up well.

I wanted the same thing but with 5" of travel and very stout, I'm 6'4" and 235. I ended up on the "04 S-works Enduro. 5" of travel with the Brain so it is stiff when climbing. If you can find one of the '04's like mine I'd recomend it. ;)
I think Chutist & Breznak are right it could be that going from a STIFF ALU M2 to a sofa like 5 inches is too much. So I think I will test ride a KIng KIK and a MT Vision for size.
See if they Roll a bit quicker up the slopes! Gotta ride too loose some XS :D !
Although S-Works has intrigued me about the VPP and I might investigate it a little further...

MAY HAVE TO UP THE BUDGET...... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
another few suggestions

i ride a haro werx xls and love it. i went from a fully active jamis dakar comp 99 to the haro. it came w/ some fast tires and i love the manitou swinger. i'm 5'11' and 185 though. i got the bike for $1500 although the original was $2600.
some of the trek fuels felt really fast as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one 4 the heads up

I am seriously confused about what to get. So I have decided to go to a place called rutland cycles, that is apparently the biggest test centre in Europe for MTBs.
http://www.rutlandcycling.co.uk/
So they have Marin / Kona etc. I am going to demo 2 at least Mt Vision & King Kik I think then we will see.......
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Well

Just to throw another one into the ring-----------take a look at the cannondale prophet! Lot's of travel, very fast (from everything i have read), readily available over there, the 4000 is only 26lbs,,,,,,,,Good Luck in your search :D
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
time yourself!

I've one MTBR friend who is a road rider. And he has an HT rigid as well. On his 25 mile circuit, when he times himself, he does better (i.e. faster) on the MTB than on the road bike, although the HT "feels" slower.

So try timing yourself, it may just be the "feel" of the bike. And note that lots of XC racers now depend on FS for the win.

Good luck, Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmmmmmm.....

This buying a bike ...... is driving me nuts! The Prophet does sound interesting, but I like the 1000 which costs a "reasonable" amount o dough, but the brown colour doesnt float my boat.
I remember when I bought my M2 7 years ago and I just walked in and said will you be a ble to do me a deal on Z2 s swap for the Judys + £250 :eek: and no after thought to sizing or test ride not even car park. Now 5 test rides, forum posts, reviews, etc and TOO MUCH INFO!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHH!
ANyhows I am sticking to going to Rutland cycles and test riding the MT VIsion & the King KIK.... I think....
Cheers for your input! :cool:
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
enduro's not slow

Breznak said:
For example, my buddy has a 2002 Enduro--your classic 'all day' bike. It is absolutely lovely on the rough terrain and descents, but slow on your standard cross country terrain and goes at a snail's pace on climbs. Overall, I crushed him on every ride on my old 2000 Rockhopper and crush him now on my 2004 SJ 100, even though we are not that far off one another in terms of conditioning. He rides my bike and I ride his, and he crushes me.
It's your friend's shock that likely holding back the Enduro. With a standard Float, my Titus Switchblade felt and went slower on climbs, as well as sagged into the travel on steep uphills, making the front end wander as well. I got the Float Pushed (Pushindustries.com) and it made a huge difference. I bet if your friend got a shock w/ a platform, it would be a much closer comparison b/t your two bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I would stay away from the SJ120 and the Enduro if you are looking for a fast bike. Just because a bike pedals pretty efficiently does not make it fast. I rode both bikes several times each on various trails and they were just plain slow...fun on the downhills but slow everywhere else. I haven't been on the new 4 inch Trek Fuels but the old 3 in models had some good speed so that may be a bike you want to look into. Like someone else has already said, try the 4" SJ and see if that seems faster. I rode last years SJ elite disc and it was a bit faster but still slower than the Fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fuel...mmm

;)
Cheers dmccros1!
What are you riding ?
the fuel ex9 has just had a long term review in a uk mag called MBR and they gave it a 9!
they said this bike felt faster than any other fs they had ridden.
I like the EX9. But it costs £2100 = $3700 US :eek:
BUT it may well roll! I agree with what you say about the SJ120 entirely.
Keep it comin.
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
Setup

dmccros1 said:
I would stay away from the SJ120 and the Enduro if you are looking for a fast bike. Just because a bike pedals pretty efficiently does not make it fast. I rode both bikes several times each on various trails and they were just plain slow...fun on the downhills but slow everywhere else. I haven't been on the new 4 inch Trek Fuels but the old 3 in models had some good speed so that may be a bike you want to look into. Like someone else has already said, try the 4" SJ and see if that seems faster. I rode last years SJ elite disc and it was a bit faster but still slower than the Fuel.
Proper setup will help a bike feel fast. But I think you are mistaking quick steering with actually being fast - there is no reason why an enduro would be that much slower than a 4" travel bike if it is set up correctly if they both have similar parts spec. It's not a heavy frame - probably within a pound of a SJ, which is not enough to make it slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
stumpy98 said:
This buying a bike ...... is driving me nuts! The Prophet does sound interesting, but I like the 1000 which costs a "reasonable" amount o dough, but the brown colour doesnt float my boat.
I remember when I bought my M2 7 years ago and I just walked in and said will you be a ble to do me a deal on Z2 s swap for the Judys + £250 :eek: and no after thought to sizing or test ride not even car park. Now 5 test rides, forum posts, reviews, etc and TOO MUCH INFO!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHH!
ANyhows I am sticking to going to Rutland cycles and test riding the MT VIsion & the King KIK.... I think....
Cheers for your input! :cool:
Many of the frames that you are considering are not built to handle your weight. Scratch the Trek Fuel (the EX may be OK, but it is the first year....be careful), and Blur.

Obviously, this is my opinion, but I've seen many of the above frames break with guys weighing far less than you. You should easily be able to handle a beefy frame without worrying about the added weight. I weight 170 and ride bikes far heavier than you are considering.

If you do go light.....make sure you get a great warranty. There's a good chance that you'll need it.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top