Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm refurbishing a '96 Gary Fisher Marlin right now and have had some trouble finding a 7-speed cassette and triple crankset to replace what's on my bike right now. Both need to be replaced as several teeth on the gears are almost completely worn down, but Shimano doesn't make the parts that are currently on the bike any longer (HG30, and Acera-X). I've been able to find a few triple cranksets that may be compatible, but this is the first time I've ever tried to fix up a bike, and everything I'm finding looks way more complex than what's already there. I'd love to keep it looking as close as possible to one with all original parts. As for the cassette, I haven't even been able to find a 7-speed, only 9 and 11-speeds are showing up in my searches. I also stopped by my two local shops today with no luck in finding anything besides being told they may be able to order parts I can use, but I would love to be able to find and order them myself if at all possible. Thanks for any help and ideas!!

I've attached pictures of what's currently on the bike for reference.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looking closer at your pics, that crank is riveted, might be able drill out the rivets and bolt on a new ring or two. Typically cranks like that are fairly disposable though, and given that amount of rust, I'd guess the bottom bracket is toast. Have you though about 1x7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking closer at your pics, that crank is riveted, might be able drill out the rivets and bolt on a new ring or two. Typically cranks like that are fairly disposable though, and given that amount of rust, I'd guess the bottom bracket is toast. Have you though about 1x7.
Thanks for the response! The chain is definitely being replaced as well, though that's not such a difficult thing for me to find lol. I did kind of toy with the idea of switching it to 1x7, but I'd love to keep all of the gears it has currently since I'll be taking it out on some hefty terrain. I'm 99% sure I have all the tools needed to take out the rivets so that shouldn't be a huge problem. I'll look into the links you've provided and see what I can find, I appreciate it a bunch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.