Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story but my son inherited this bike about 15 years ago from my brother and my son never rode it. My brother also barley rode it. It has many after market parts on it I think? Lots of the parts say RaceFace?

It is a Klein Mantra Comp.

I assume I will have to sell it locally as shipping a bike would be expensive? I live in Canada.

I have no clue about any bikes, so a ball park guess would be very much appreciated so I have a starting point?

I can find a few of them on the internet (EBay) but none that look like this, so I don't know if that is a good thing or not?

Thank you for any time you give my post!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame
Machine Auto part Automotive engine part Transmission part Automotive engine timing part

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
That thing belongs in a museum. Cool bike, no idea what the value is though. You could try craigslist and see what kind of offers you get.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Bicycle blue book has it at $322 in excellent condition, from what I've seen on ebay it looks like guys are asking between $400-$1000, but closer to the $400 mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool I think I will try to sell it locally because if $400 is the value, then it will cost 50% of the purchase price to ship. I live 30 minutes from the Rocky Mountains so maybe there is someone who wants a retro bike :)

Thanks for your time!

·
High Plains Luddite
182 Posts
Neat bike!

I suggest you price it high, because a bike like that is likely to have a very small pool of potential buyers, but the few who want it will probably REALLY want it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting and thank you. I might have to look into the cost of shipping as EBay would be the best way to show the most people as my local market would be a fraction of potential. Would you say $1,000 CND = $750 US$?

I appreciate any advise I can get on this!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Parting it out will be the most lucrative, but I don't know if you want to spend the time selling it bit by bit.

These are estimations, but if you can sell the whole thing for $700 or so it'd be fair, but might take a while or never happen at all.

Frame $120
Cranks $120
Fork $140
Post $30
Stem $25
Headset $75
Rear Der ?
Bar $20
Brakes $20
Seat $30
Wheels $250-$350?
Skewers 80
Total: 910-1010 subract 13% ebay & paypal fees

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
FWIW - those wheels seem to come in around $400 alone (asking prices).

Those 636 pedals are probably the most durable clipless pedals ever made too, at least IME.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
original death spinergy wheels

where are u located ? I can make that thing go away for you if I'm close

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I have not seen bikes driving around here with wheels that look like that! Selling as parts might be the most financially beneficial, but I will let someone else do that and benefit :)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
oh yeah that is a bit out of my distance range. I'd drive 10 hours each way but that is way past that. that is an awesome bike as it is built (the wheels are dangerous as hell but yours are in puff condition)

I'd hold out for a decent price if it was mine for sale. >800 easy (in my eyes I'd pay more than that)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
here is a tip

if/when you do sell it, if the buyer is not aware of the history of spinergy rev-x wheels, stick a note to them 'do not ride with these wheels' and have buyer sign off on that. they are OK and all (I raced a year with a set and had no problems)
but when they do fail they fail catastrophically

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/icons-of-cycling-spinergy-rev-x-wheels-214741

Spinergy Accidents - spinergy wheels

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/566458-spinergy-rev-x-s-really-bad.html

they were all recalled and ...well, read them thar links. they do not have enough structure to accommodate one single blade cracking or delaminating, so if one does delaminate at the rim, the whole wheel POOF just sends you to the ground fast

however, yours being (a) rare and (b) puff someone is going to want that wheelset for a pub bike or something, or as wall art from the bygone era of experimental mtb design (what I'd do)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
that is a sweet bike though, back in it's day, everyone would have wanted that bike as you have it built.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yeah, that's a cool retro bike. It did get some riding considering the baldness of the tires. Maybe put some fire xc pros on it to complete the look. I wouldn't part it out either, but the suggestion is still a reasonable one. I really like the matching orange Mar bomber fork and the orange RF cranks.

Good luck with the sale!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.