Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a cheap air fork for my wife's bike. I bought her a GT Avalanche that came with an SR Suntour fork, but it's too stiff for her and she can't compress it. I even had Suntour send me their "light" springs, but I think they're the same as the original ones.

Anyway, I thought a cheap air fork would give me more spring adjustability.

I'm looking for a fork for a 26" wheel, with 100-130mm of travel, nothing fancy.

Any suggestions? Maybe some good blowouts on sale right now?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They have an 80mm R7 at Bikewagon as well @ 379, a bit more than the 100mm version:
http://www.bikewagon.com/Forks-Head...rks/10-Manitou-R7-80-Suspension-p9459482.html
I guess they're not that common. I have at 100mm R7 that I used for a while. I like it but don't have any more bikes that have less than 5". My son will get that this summer when I build him a new Sette Reken 14". He turns 8 and I'm going to start it off with 24" wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
The Recon can be reduced to 80mm with an internal spacer...takes about 10-15 minutes to do. The R7 is also available in 80mm, though not as common.
Hmmm.... I haven't searched yet, but are there any writeups on how to do the spacer mod and where to get the spacer from? :)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
reefer_bob said:
Hmmm.... I haven't searched yet, but are there any writeups on how to do the spacer mod and where to get the spacer from? :)
All Travel spacer kits can be found online or at a LBS for about $15 (the kit covers all forks, you only need one 20mm spacer from it). There are manuals and videos showing how to install it online, most have you taking the fork completely apart which isn't necessary. All you need to do is remove the Solo Air unit which can be done by letting all the air out of it, removing the lower bolt at the bottom of the fork, and removing the top cap. If you do this while the fork is horizontal you won't even lose the splash lubrication out of the lowers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.