Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For real rides I have a 2018 Fuel EX 9.7. I’m looking for something sub $500 (preferably even less) to take camping with the family. We have a travel trailer so we find ourselves at camp grounds several times a year for a week or more plus multiple weekend trips.

I was actually looking at the mongoose ripsaw and think it might fit the bill. I figured a rigid fork might be better than a pogo stick.

Anyways what would everyone suggest for a cheap bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
My vote is for a reconditioned 90-95 MTB. Assuming you're the sort that enjoys finding a gem and refurbishing it.

Why that era? It's the first mtb boom era, but before the shitty suspension fork boom. Enough examples exist that are in good condition that you can be a little picky. The fashionable MTB at the time was a pretty mediocre mtb, but it was durable, quick on the road, and pretty fun to ride on random BS you might find near a campsite.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,596 Posts
We had more fun taking turns on my fatbike than anything else. People just like riding it, and it is good for the beach, the trail, or just bummin' around. QR seat post clamp solves everything.

-F

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
We had more fun taking turns on my fatbike than anything else. People just like riding it, and it is good for the beach, the trail, or just bummin' around. QR seat post clamp solves everything.

-F
was gonna say....

Surly Krampus!!! 29+ for all kinds of terrain...or maybe a lowside...but these are not "cheap"

but I agree, I always take our Trek 830's from the '90's for the wife and kids. My Krampus goes cause it goes everywhere...the Treks are so easy to maintain, and I don't usually worry about them being taken (though we never camp at places where people would be looking to steal bikes).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'd build a klunker out of an old cruiser frame.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Like the Krampus recomendation, honestly anything steel maybe rigid 29er that has some nice plush tires if you are in a campground and find singletrack might as well try it out.

I tend to take my old rigid Civilian Luddite (has gears ) or my Stache with me when we take the camper out. Never know what you will find to explore so HT or rigid is nice and both I can still hit some techy stuff if near by. Scour CL, Ebay, FB, PB for used and just pick sometihng.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.