Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've never done mountain biking before and looking to buy my first mountain bike. I am living in Turkey and due to massive enflation I need to buy a budget bike (max I can go is 1000$) and shipping+import fees are almost as the bike if I want to buy outside of Turkey. Another thing is many brands are not available here and worst of all is that I can't find a selection of bikes to choose from that will fit my height. I've found one shop that sells Specialized Rockhopper 29 for 720$(base model) XXL and no other bike that is big enough for me. I am planning to buy this bike and maybe upgrade over time, in the reviews it is said that it has solid frame(?) so I can upgrade it with better parts like dropper post and hydraulic brakes and etc. What do you think of this idea?

And if you have any recommendations for international shops or general advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

· Registered
15,307 Posts
That XXL only has a reach of 485mm. It's not really your size. Plus it has outdated dropouts and geo.
And of course every main component will need to be upgraded.
You'd be in for an expensive journey with mediocre results because of the 9x135 quick release rear frame dropouts.
I'd search for something better.
It will cost you more up front. You'll save a lot and have a better more capable ride in the long run.

Taival - Pole Bicycles This bike in size K4 has 530mm of reach.
Read the discussion. Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail
Watch the review on YT hardtail Party.
Look at the threads on the Clyde/Tall forum for more ideas.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That XXL only has a reach of 485mm. It's not really your size. Plus it has outdated dropouts and geo.
And of course every main component will need to be upgraded.
You'd be in for an expensive journey with mediocre results because of the 9x135 quick release rear frame dropouts.
I'd search for something better.
It will cost you more up front. You'll save a lot and have a better more capable ride in the long run.

Taival - Pole Bicycles This bike in size K4 has 530mm of reach.
Read the discussion. Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail
Watch the review on YT hardtail Party.
Look at the threads on the Clyde/Tall forum for more ideas.
Thanks, I will take look at the clyde/tall forum, but unfortunately I can't afford Taival. Didn't know about reach sizes, I just had a look at the manufacterer's site for sizing guides, I should research more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.