Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone know any good bike shops in Buffalo area...more specifically around Amherst, NY? Going to visit some family down there and I wanted to hit up a shop or two while in the area.

I'll also be able to ask them about the riding in the area while there as well.

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not sure where the bike shops are but........

If you stay at the University Inn, you can rent bikes for $5.00 a day.

They are not the greatest mountain bikes, but work sweet for shredding around campus, and on the bike paths. Good fun!

Killer Continential Breakfast Too!!!

later
Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
burtondogs said:
Not sure where the bike shops are but........

If you stay at the University Inn, you can rent bikes for $5.00 a day.

They are not the greatest mountain bikes, but work sweet for shredding around campus, and on the bike paths. Good fun!

Killer Continential Breakfast Too!!!

later
Jim
Thanks Jim! I've actually stayed there before...good times! :thumbsup:

I'll probably be bringing my bike down, so there's no need to worry about renting one...just wanted to hit up a couple of shops to look for components and such.

·
Up on the Hill
52 Posts
My regulars when I last lived there (2000) were:
Handlebars (Kenmore)
Campus Wheelworks (Elmwood Ave., Buffalo)
Precision (Williamsville)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
genetix.canada said:
Thanks for your help guys! :thumbsup:
Precision Bikes at Main and Garrison closed a couple of years ago.
There is a newer shop in Williamsville (where I grew up) I think in the Clearfield Plaza at Hopkins and Klein roads.
Some of the downhillers that are on www.hcor.net shop there. They could fill you in more.

The closest trails I know of are at Hunters Creek about 45 minutes away. When I'm in Buffalo I ride their and at at Holiday Valley ski resort (1 hour) in the summer.
Rider Mels guide book mentions a bunch of rides in Ontario. I don't know those trails but they may be closer?

I guess a $5.00 rental would work for paved bike paths? Must be a cheap hybrid though. Like a $200.00 bike new.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
downhill mike said:
Precision Bikes at Main and Garrison closed a couple of years ago.
There is a newer shop in Williamsville (where I grew up)...
Hey thanks for the info Mike. Is it North Star Bicycle Works in Williamsville? I think I'm going to hit it up when I'm down there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I know this is an old thread but another place to check out is Red Door Ski and Bike shop on main st in Williamsville. Not the largest inventory but Scott and Miles are awesome there. They deal with Cannondale and Specialized. Ive bought all my bikes there and they treat me like no other.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Northstar bikes in on the Corner of Hopkins and Klien in Williamsville. It has the best service and expertise in the area when it comes to MTB.
I managed the shop for 2 years, the owner and other employees have years of background in the industry. Not 3 or 4 years like other shops in Buffalo.

PS: I am one of the Downhillers downhillmike mentioned from hcor.net

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boogenman said:
Northstar bikes in on the Corner of Hopkins and Klien in Williamsville. It has the best service and expertise in the area when it comes to MTB.
I managed the shop for 2 years, the owner and other employees have years of background in the industry. Not 3 or 4 years like other shops in Buffalo.

PS: I am one of the Downhillers downhillmike mentioned from hcor.net
Hey Boogen...

I haven't been down to Northstar yet, but I will be there for sure come warmer weather. I think that place is my best bet for gear... You still in the WNY area?

Was gonna see Downhillmike at the bike show here in Toronto, but didn't get the chance...

Thanks everyone for your help in locating a LBS in the Buffalo area! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yes I am still in the Western New York area. If you want to see Downhillmike go visit him at Whiteface, he has done a ton of work there. The place is really going to take off in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
boogenman said:
Yes I am still in the Western New York area. If you want to see Downhillmike go visit him at Whiteface, he has done a ton of work there. The place is really going to take off in the next couple of years.
Yeah, planning a trip out there this summer...looking at late-August. I'm stoked with some of the things I've heard. Road trip!

Thanks for the info... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Whiteface uses the 8 person gondola. It takes 3 with bikes inside to the top of Little Whiteface Mountain. 10 minute ride up and 30+ minutes per run.
Opening day 6-22-07 open 7 days a week till Labor Day. Weekends only till 10-14.
A press release with our hours of operation and calendar of events will be out shortly.

Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com
Size does matter!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
downhill mike said:
Whiteface uses the 8 person gondola. It takes 3 with bikes inside to the top of Little Whiteface Mountain. 10 minute ride up and 30+ minutes per run.
Opening day 6-22-07 open 7 days a week till Labor Day. Weekends only till 10-14.
A press release with our hours of operation and calendar of events will be out shortly.

Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com
Size does matter!
I figured you would be using the Clousplitter gondola for mountain access...man, I should start a countdown clock to this road trip! :D

I have only been in the winter, ripping it up through the trees...can't wait to do it on the bike!

By the way, how much are lift tickets in the summer?

Thanks Mike... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Lift tickets will be $32.00 this year. We will have some special days that tickets will be $25.00. Seasons pass is $200.00
Women ride for free on the 1st Saturday of each month we are open.
Here's a link with photo albums, customer reviews and tons of Whiteface information. Just sccoll down a few posts to see the links to 5 different photo albums.
http://www.hcor.net/postt23855.html

Our web site should be updated soon.
If anyone has any questions e-mail me at [email protected]

See ya at the face
Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com
Size does matter!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.