Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding 29'er hardtails for the past 2 years and have been considering building a heavier duty 26' wheeled hardtail for more aggressive riding. Prior to the 29'ers I had ridden some sort of full suspension since 1996. I have not missed FS and have no interest in going back. I wish to build a sturdy hardtail preferably titanium or steel with a slacker head angle that will accommodate a PIKE or Fox 36 front fork.

Does anyone have a frame they might suggest in steel or titanium?

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i'm with you on steel, best choice. there are literally dozens of hardtails that can take monster abuse, but few choices in steel. the on-one 456 is one of my first choices, azonic steelhead will take some good hits and it's cheap. DMR makes some big hit HT's (trailstar). in titanium, the only choice i'm aware of that's beefy with a slack HA is the cove hummer (or custom...)

my favorite ever DH hardtail is of course mine, balfa is no longer around but the minuteman has great geometry and is so beefy you wouldn't need a warranty anyways...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mrpercussive said:
well... FS designs have come a long way since 1996... you should consider them... but if you're not into them then

Santa Cruz Chameleon?
No, what I was saying is that I have ridden FS bikes since 1996 and have had a new one every other year or so. After riding a hardtail (a 29'er mind you) for the past couple of years I have grown to appreciate the simplicity and quietness. I don't want another FS for the moment. I may come back around but not now. I can keep up just as well on my hardtail and don't have to deal with some sort of maintenance issue at the beginning and end of every ride. I'll take a look at the Santa Cruz and Balfa. I also found a Cove that looked to fit the bill as well.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just an FYI since you mentioned the desire for steel or Ti...the Chameleon is Aluminum. However it can take tons of abuse & likely you'll get a lot of reccomendations for it, mine included.

I love mine...super versatile, from an urban/dj bike, lightweight XC, All mountain, to singlespeed (horizontal dropouts). Only thing I really plan on changing on mine is the fork, I want a Pike. I have seen a couple w/ 36's on 'em.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
The only chioce in ti aggro I can think of is the Cove Hummer. If steel I would be all over the Cove Handjob. :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts

·
1,247 Posts
I'd go Evil Sovereign or Chromag Samurai as far as steel goes.

Sinister Ridge for alum. sexy made-in-US frame.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking around a bit, the Cove Hand Job appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer the titanium Hummer but the price is 3-4 times as much. I love ti but steel rides just as nice and lasts nearly as long.

Thanks for the input.

·
fear this
326 Posts
Brodie, hands down.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a little down on Gary Fisher these days. Not to mention that bike looks a little too harsh for trail riding.

I guess I should have made my original post a little more clear. I'm looking for an XC hardtail that can be ridden aggressively without failure. I want a slacker head angle to accommodate a long travel fork. I want a frame that's sturdy but still gives the rider a little compliance. With all that in mind the Cove bikes look to be most suitable. The Surly is interesting as my friends with Surly's always swear by them.

The search continues but thus far The Cove Hand Job is the most appealing but not because of the name.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with Shaker,Brodie hardtails kicka$$,I love my Holeshot,but are aluminum.For a steel HT I'd look for a Minuteman(if you can find one).I like the Cove and the Chromag too.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i have to chime in.

i just built up a Transition Vagrant with a 36 Van rc2, saint cranks, Halo SAS wheelset and Juicy 7's with 203mm rotors.

It's aluminum, but nevertheless, this bike is totally sick.. super fun to ride, i'm a big guy so it feels like a tight little bmx bike under me. I took it to the DJs the other day and it's super solid, snappy acceleration, very responsive and flickable. To me it feels like the ultimate heavy duty trail/jump hardtail.

a thing to mention... before i built up this bike, i rode a Santa Cruz Chameleon for nearly a year, built up very similarly to the one posted above, and in my opinion the Vagrant completely blows the Chameleon frame away. The geometry is slacker and more jump/trick friendly, the tubing is FAR more heavy duty, it's made for serious thrashing.

i can post pics if you like

1 - 20 of 38 Posts