Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main bike is a Sette Razzo frame with a Cane Creek 110 and a Reba 100mm fork. I have a couple wheelsets and ride it on and offroad.

Now having some miles on it I was wondering if there's anything out there that will work with some of these legacy specs?

I am hoping for steel or Titanium if I have to go custom, although that would certainly change the timeline.

I'm currently running a 1x10 Sram x9 setup but I'm not really happy with the shifting as it was cobbled together with custom sprockets.

It seems like a long shot to me, but if you know of anything that would work with these older spec items I'd lover to hear about it.

Most things I'm seeing now are not meant to work with anything less that 120mm and MOST things are tapered.

I'm sure it's be cheaper to start from scratch, but there's nothing really wrong with most of the bike, just trying to see what my options are.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
FWIW: You can adapt a tapered head tube to a straight steerer. For forward compatibility and upgrading, I'd get a frame with a tapered head tube. What kind of hubs/axles on those wheelsets?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're 100x15 and 135xqr. The hubs are Hadley and Hope though, so I should be able to change them pretty easily to just about anything.

I was looking at the Soma Juice, but it's a ZS44 so I'd still be swapping out my 110.EC34 headset, maybe I could sell that and put it to another.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
My main bike is a Sette Razzo frame with a Cane Creek 110 and a Reba 100mm fork. I have a couple wheelsets and ride it on and offroad.

Now having some miles on it I was wondering if there's anything out there that will work with some of these legacy specs?

I am hoping for steel or Titanium if I have to go custom, although that would certainly change the timeline.

I'm currently running a 1x10 Sram x9 setup but I'm not really happy with the shifting as it was cobbled together with custom sprockets.

It seems like a long shot to me, but if you know of anything that would work with these older spec items I'd lover to hear about it.

Most things I'm seeing now are not meant to work with anything less that 120mm and MOST things are tapered.

I'm sure it's be cheaper to start from scratch, but there's nothing really wrong with most of the bike, just trying to see what my options are.
So cheapo frame from yesteryear. Nice headset, once decent fork that has aged poorly compared to some of what's now available. Drivetrain known to have a short working lifespan, from the awkward 2x-1x era... that doesn't work great. It was good stuff, but I don't see much reason to have a ton of loyalty to this build group- ride the bike and be happy. It already sounds perfect for your application.

So now that we agree about what you're working with, as a cheapass hobbyist framebuilder i like your brainstorm. I see no reason to delve into the Ti world- the cut-rate builders add too many unknowns, and the $$$ builders shouldn't be hampered by your old ****.

So steel. That's fine; there's a lot more freedom of design with steel since it's cheaper and there are more frame building parts available. Sliding dropouts are an upcharge, but you can adjust chainstay length and react to future arbitrary axle standards. The ubiquitous PMW 44mm head tube will work with whatever fork, including your current one (your 110 is obsolete, end of story). Choose whatever geo you want, and one can design around tall headsets to build in adaptability. The frame geo/tubes could make the frame behave however the designer desires; even wooden-stiff like your current frame. I'd go long reach to suit a ~74* seat angle and modern front end geo, but you do you.

Otherwise, most frames from 2002-2010 will fit your old parts. As does your current frame, which seems to work fine? It's like you're asking us to list all the OG 29ers. (spoilers- they all suck)

(my main bike is a modern custom frame with a similar vintage build kit)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the Razzo Frame still works, I'd just like to have something on deck for when it eventually does not anymore. The Al will eventually work harden and snap.

Someone contacted me about an old steel Siren frame they have that could work. Just seems like a waste to part out what is otherwise a serviceable bike. I just need to decide what I want. Heck, I could just part it out and use the 110 on an old steel road frame pretty easily. It would certainly fit that sort of build better.

Thank you for the thinking points.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Yeah, the Razzo Frame still works, I'd just like to have something on deck for when it eventually does not anymore. The Al will eventually work harden and snap.

Someone contacted me about an old steel Siren frame they have that could work. Just seems like a waste to part out what is otherwise a serviceable bike. I just need to decide what I want. Heck, I could just part it out and use the 110 on an old steel road frame pretty easily. It would certainly fit that sort of build better.

Thank you for the thinking points.
Speaking as someone who regularly breaks frames... if you haven't broken that frame already, you're not going to break it. Don't worry. Yes, alu has a lifespan, but frames are designed so that 97% of users don't confront that reality. Every frame material has a lifespan if it has been implemented well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.