Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so my new 575 frame will be arriving Friday (sweet!), and I'm trying to decide which fork to install on her. I currently have an almost new '05 Talas RLC, an unused Pike Team, and a used Z1 FR SL. The Talas is currently installed on my San Andreas DHS, whose parts will be moved over to the 575, and the Pike is waiting to be used. For reference, I typically ride rooty, rocky VA singletrack, with short, steep climbs & descents, and I'm not svelte. ;) One or both of the forks left over will be sold, hence my question (otherwise, I'd simply experiment).

Though I know this subject might be considered a dead horse - or at least a wounded one - I'm looking for feedback from people who have ridden at least one of these forks on a 575. Comparative stuff would be really helpful, such as "the Talas really blows in **** situations, where the Pike shines," etc.

So far, I like the Talas, but I believe there's more potential in there I'm just not getting yet... The Z1 SL is a very sweet (plush & strong) fork, but I like truly adjustable travel, as opposed to the ETA slam it down and get no feedback feature.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
amaner said:
Ok, so my new 575 frame will be arriving Friday (sweet!), and I'm trying to decide which fork to install on her. I currently have an almost new '05 Talas RLC, an unused Pike Team, and a used Z1 FR SL. The Talas is currently installed on my San Andreas DHS, whose parts will be moved over to the 575, and the Pike is waiting to be used. For reference, I typically ride rooty, rocky VA singletrack, with short, steep climbs & descents, and I'm not svelte. ;) One or both of the forks left over will be sold, hence my question (otherwise, I'd simply experiment).

Though I know this subject might be considered a dead horse - or at least a wounded one - I'm looking for feedback from people who have ridden at least one of these forks on a 575. Comparative stuff would be really helpful, such as "the Talas really blows in **** situations, where the Pike shines," etc.

So far, I like the Talas, but I believe there's more potential in there I'm just not getting yet... The Z1 SL is a very sweet (plush & strong) fork, but I like truly adjustable travel, as opposed to the ETA slam it down and get no feedback feature.
i rode my 575 for the first 6 months with the Talas and really enjoyed it but felt like the bike needed more, i never used the adjustability, just set it a 130mm....i decided on a marz am-1 130/150 because i felt that most of the time i would ride it in 130mm but when its time for a long downhill or shuttle ride i could crank it up to 150mm...to me that is more useful travel...i like the eta a lot for when you approach a steep section, can adjust on the fly, unlike the talas....so far (3 rides) i REALLY like this fork, very plush and feels better than the talas to me (more small bump sensitivity)...i only cost me $50 to upgrade (buying a used am-1 and selling a 05 talas) so i am really stoked...now please get rid of the snow!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
billybobzia - I read your earlier review of the AM1, and others, and would love to have an AM1. I like the idea of being able to fine-tune the travel (via TAS) before setting out, then having the ETA for the steep climbs that pop up. I also like the air preload feature. Unfortunately, the best price I've found is $650, and I've already started getting occasional good-natured jibbing from my fiancee regarding the number of forks in the house. ;) Of course, I could sell all three and get an AM1. Decisions decisions... Thanks for your reply!

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
amaner said:
billybobzia - I read your earlier review of the AM1, and others, and would love to have an AM1. I like the idea of being able to fine-tune the travel (via TAS) before setting out, then having the ETA for the steep climbs that pop up. I also like the air preload feature. Unfortunately, the best price I've found is $650, and I've already started getting occasional good-natured jibbing from my fiancee regarding the number of forks in the house. ;) Of course, I could sell all three and get an AM1. Decisions decisions... Thanks for your reply!
see if you can find a used one!! good luck.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Looks like Im late on this one, anywhoo if the Pike isnt going to be used and you have a 20mm front wheel, that would be the choice of the three forks you have.
1. For me, the Talas is only 125 or 130mm of travel, perfect for a 5 Spot, but the 575 just needs a long travel fork IMHO
2. Im not crazy about the Z1 SL, not the lightest fork on the planet, still only 130mm of travel and now the fork raises the front end abit.
3. If you going to raise the headtube, or slack out the front end, you might as well use a longer travel fork, the Pike is a great addition to a 575, I would love to try the Fox 36 someday and billybob has me thinking now about trying out a 150mm Marzocchi. I dont have the AM1 but I do have a new Z1 FR hiding out in the garage. I have a few short miles with the Pike on my 575, it does feel great, plush and stiff. The Maxle just rules, and there is so many ways to adjust the fork.
In case you havent seen any of the pic's, heres a lookse,

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response! I ended up installing the Pike, and I think I'll stick with it. Uber adjustable, and the stiffness was immediately noticeable in rock gardens. If you'd like to see pics, they're in the "New 575!" thread.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't really do a compare for you, since I only have experience with the TALAS. I live in central NY, and it sounds like I ride the same type of terrain you do. For my money... some type of travel adjustment is worth it's weight in gold. On a bike like the 575... a tall 5" travel fork with no travel adjustment isn't going to climb very well.

For me, the TALAS is a perfect fit for the 575. Fairly light, stiff, strong, smooth, and travel adjustment. I built my bike from the frame up with parts I hand picked... the fork is one of the few parts I've never second guessed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
pikes rule and all that

had talas and vanillas on my 575 efore going to pikes.

I couldnt believe how much a total waste of maney and pile of flexy sheet the fox's were compared to the pikes...uber adjutable and extremely stiff made the 575 a completely different bike....no longer was the fron end being overhelmed by the stiff and plush rear end.......i am now one very happy 575 and rock shox owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.