Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I'm looking at getting an aluminum middle chainring for my crankset. I'd like it to be a 30t ring since I will likely be running a 2x9.

Does anyone know of any North American companies that have these?

help is appreciated!

cheers,
Aaron

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
superlightracer said:
hey all,

I'm looking at getting an aluminum middle chainring for my crankset. I'd like it to be a 30t ring since I will likely be running a 2x9.

Does anyone know of any North American companies that have these?

help is appreciated!

cheers,
Aaron
A far as I know, only Extralite from Italy is now the only ones who make them. I think I have one in stock:

https://www.sales.light-bikes.com/extralite/extralite.asp#MTB%20Drivetrain

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Should be able to find a 28 granny and then put a 42 in the middle position. Just s alittle lower end without much loss on the high end.

·
Registered
970 Posts
if you're using an external bearing crankset it would probably be a better chainline than if you just ran them in the normal position.

the chainline for 2x9 should be narrower, and considering external bearing cranksets already have a high chainline width you should be fine.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Not really.

superlightracer said:
That would make for a funky chain line no?
Everyone running triples run the same chainline for their small and middle rings.

I am running 22/36 on the front on a 29er. I get just the slightest rub in the 22 - 11 combo but I only use the little ring for climbing and maybe the tightest singletrack.

Main issue might be chainstay room. Could run a 118 mm BB to move it out a bit if this is the case.

G

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using a TA 30t granny and a XT 44t outer ring on the middle ring position with XT cranks and 11-32 casette. This setup just fits on Scale frame but won't work on all frames.

With this setup I can use the whole casette with the big ring. With the granny ring I can use maybe 7 top cogs. This year I'm going to use a 28/42 or a 30/42 depending on the terrain. I'm hoping that with a 42 ring I can stay on the big ring most of the time.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
track down a 5-bolt compact crankset (middleburn still makes them probably) and go 29/44.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
What about Boone Titanium? Brett can make just about anything and it will lasssssst. :thumbsup:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
DMFT said:
What about Boone Titanium? Brett can make just about anything and it will lasssssst. :thumbsup:
No, Brett can not make them that small. I tired.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
-juho- said:
I am using a TA 30t granny and a XT 44t outer ring on the middle ring position with XT cranks and 11-32 casette. This setup just fits on Scale frame but won't work on all frames.
How well does this setup shift from the 30 to the 44? Whic derailleur are you using? I'm using Boone Ti 29 and 44, and when I try and shift from the 29 up to the 44, it nearly always either rubs along the inside of the 44, and not climb up, or it overshifts and drops the chain off the outside of the 44. Keep in mind that the Boone has no shift pins or ramps.

I've tried a couple different front derailleurs (M950 XTR, M953 XTR, M760 XT). I've also ground down some of the teeth on the 44, to help pull the chain up (3 teeth ground down 1-2mm, then skip 8 teeth, then 3 ground, etc...). Next, I'll try an Ultegra double FD. If that doesn't work, I may drill and tap the chainring for some carefully placed setscrews to act as shift pins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BlownCivic said:
How well does this setup shift from the 30 to the 44? Whic derailleur are you using? I'm using Boone Ti 29 and 44, and when I try and shift from the 29 up to the 44, it nearly always either rubs along the inside of the 44, and not climb up, or it overshifts and drops the chain off the outside of the 44. Keep in mind that the Boone has no shift pins or ramps.
I have XT E-type derailleur and no problems shifting up but I think its because XT 44t has very good shift ramps. On the downside I sometimes get chainsuck when shifting down if the chain is too crossed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.