Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to mtbr. I stopped riding offroad a few years ago, but I've been riding road since. I'm looking forward to getting back on the trails. I've been riding ss road bikes for a few years, so I think a transition to SS offroad would only be natural.

However, I've come to find that sizing on MTB is a lot more confusing than road. I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice based on your experience.

I'm 6' 1", but have looong legs. My inseam is at 35.5".

Would a 19" or 21" 29er be better? I comfortably ride a 60cm road frame, if that helps.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am 6'1" and currently ride a 21" Specialized. I have roughly a 33" inseam.

I am at the bottom of the recommended range, and think it may be a bit long in the TT. I will probably get a 19" next time.

It sounds like you have a small torso (due to long legs) and a bigger bike may be more stretched out.I would consider a 19ish frame, then run a longer seatpost, set-back if necessary.

I do agree, ride both. Try to get a longer ride in. I think either bike would feel fine in a 10 minute "parking lot" ride, but you really won't know for sure until you actually get some miles in.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Riding would be the "proof in the pudding" as they say. Size to the cockpit (Top Tube/reach) more than the "height" - you can adjust that with a high-qual long seatpost. If your torso is really short the 21" might feel really long, unless you want a stretched-out XC-racer positiion. For more "regular" fun trail riding/tech sections and stuff a more balanced but slightly upright position will most likely be better - but only you can really tell for sure.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am 6'2" and have a 36.5" Inseam. I have tried to run 21" frames, however they always have me way stretched out. I am on a 20" Vassago Jabberwock with a 110mm stem now and it fits great. you mentioned that you comfortably ride a 60cm road bie - Well for reference I am on a 58cm Gary Fisher Chronos with a 110mm stem and a setback seatpost. I get the exact same position on my 20" Jabber with a 110mm stem and a straight seatpost. The seatube angles are considerably different, so I have to run the setback on the road bike to get the same position over the cranks...

Not sure if that helps... however there is nothing worse than riding a bike that is too big for you. If you can, take some out for a ride!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've been reading in the archives of people with sizing questions like mine, and they all say the same about TT length.

I've got a pretty short torso. Like, awkwardly short. I'm all legs. I used an online fit calculator and it spit out that I need a 22" TT. That seems crazy short. However, I measured my road bikes and the ETT on them are all between 22" and 23".

Does a 17.5" with a longer seat post sound ridiculous? I think this might give me the right reach, but I don't want to be hittin' my knees on the handlebars.

Anyone with a shorty torso ride a smaller sized frame?

You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a new Bianchi Sok 17.5" on eBay. I noticed it was being sold by a bike shop of some sort, so I emailed asking if they had any other sizes available. Turns out they had a 19.5" model as well. Needless to say, I bought it right away. I think it will be perfect- just a tad bigger than 19", but not as huge as a 21". Thanks again for the recs.

I let you all know about the fit once it arrives. Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.