Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a torque wrench in/lbs, but how low should it go? Some go from 0 and up while others start at 25in/lbs and go up. I am not sure if there are any areas on the bike where I need it to be less than 25in/lbs. I know when removing slop from the headset the torque is low, put often that is done on feel alone -- just enough to make sure there is no slop in the headset. Thomson stem bolt are 48 in/lbs, thomson seat clamps bolts are 60in/lbs. I think most suspenion pivot bolts are over 25in/lbs. Any input.

·
Old man on a bike
12,384 Posts
I use two torque wrenches, a low range one (40-200) that gets the most use, and one that goes up to 600 which aside from bb cups and crank bolts I don't use much. Can't think of anything I've needed to go lower than 50 that I've got the hex attachment for (some really small stuff, but do that by hand as I'm not going to bother looking for a 2.5mm hex attachment for example).

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
eman2 said:
I am looking for a torque wrench in/lbs, but how low should it go? Some go from 0 and up while others start at 25in/lbs and go up. I am not sure if there are any areas on the bike where I need it to be less than 25in/lbs.
Park Tool specifies that the torque on the arm cap of a Hollowtech II crankset should be no more than 4 to 6 inch-pounds. An experienced mechanic can probably get into the right ball park by hand, but I'm not experienced enough to know how tight that is, so I use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
12 Posts
KevinB said:
Park Tool specifies that the torque on the arm cap of a Hollowtech II crankset should be no more than 4 to 6 inch-pounds. An experienced mechanic can probably get into the right ball park by hand, but I'm not experienced enough to know how tight that is, so I use a torque wrench.
at 4-6 inch pounds you're barely outside the margin of error of most torque wrenches.

as far as other things that require low torque, whenever i'm installing a shimano clamp-on front derailler i go to 30in/lb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts