Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am a clyde(230 lbs shooting for 200lbs this spring) and currently ride a 2003 Specialized FSR with a SID fork and xtr components. I have returned to riding/working out about 3 months ago and I am looking at new bikes. I have been looking at having an Independent Fab mt bike frame built but am starting to think that maybe I should buy an off the rack bike. I added up the cost for builiding up a IF frame with the xtr components and fork that I want and it is way more than xtr equipped off the rack bikes. I was wondering if maybe I should look at the Gary Fisher Ziggurat(hard tail), Cake 1 DLX, and the Specialized Enduro elite or something along these lines. I was wondering if anyone could give me some leads on some bikes to check out? I would like to keep it at $3k or less if possible but there is a little variance there if needed. I am planning on riding a couple times a week on cc trails and doing a few xc races a year. BTW I also have litespeed, cannondale, trek, and raleigh dealers in my area(no Kona dealers though). Any help would be appreciated.

-lee-

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
leeinmemphis said:
Hey everyone,

I am a clyde(230 lbs shooting for 200lbs this spring) and currently ride a 2003 Specialized FSR with a SID fork and xtr components. I have returned to riding/working out about 3 months ago and I am looking at new bikes. I have been looking at having an Independent Fab mt bike frame built but am starting to think that maybe I should buy an off the rack bike. I added up the cost for builiding up a IF frame with the xtr components and fork that I want and it is way more than xtr equipped off the rack bikes. I was wondering if maybe I should look at the Gary Fisher Ziggurat(hard tail), Cake 1 DLX, and the Specialized Enduro elite or something along these lines. I was wondering if anyone could give me some leads on some bikes to check out? I would like to keep it at $3k or less if possible but there is a little variance there if needed. I am planning on riding a couple times a week on cc trails and doing a few xc races a year. BTW I also have litespeed, cannondale, trek, and raleigh dealers in my area(no Kona dealers though). Any help would be appreciated.

-lee-
A hardtail will get you in shape the quickest. Litespeed hardtails are beautiful.

The new Enduro is way too heavy for racing except for second to last place, more light freeride.

The Cake is more XC than the Enduro, plush and could be raced for fun. Maybe look at the Prophet too for more travel adjustment and handling options in a very similar bike.

If you like your FSR, how about the FSR 120 doesn't it have a Triad shock with a firm platform valve option?

- ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts