Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a Giant Trance 2 and was wondering about the fork. I currently have a 2000 Stumpy (full XT) and Marathon S 80mm.

Is the Reba SL a lot better than previous Rock Shox products? I really like the stiffness of the Marzocchi's and Fox's. Plus, I would like to have a more plush fork like the Fox.

I really don't want to step up to the Trance 1 just for the fork, since I don't need any of the other bike jewelry that comes with it (I will be pulling a lot of XT parts off of my current bike).

The one thing that is important to me this time around is the fork. I do not want to buy a $2000+ bike and have to change out the fork.

Any advice?

Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
cjoseph said:
I am looking at buying a Giant Trance 2 and was wondering about the fork. I currently have a 2000 Stumpy (full XT) and Marathon S 80mm.

Is the Reba SL a lot better than previous Rock Shox products? I really like the stiffness of the Marzocchi's and Fox's. Plus, I would like to have a more plush fork like the Fox.

I really don't want to step up to the Trance 1 just for the fork, since I don't need any of the other bike jewelry that comes with it (I will be pulling a lot of XT parts off of my current bike).

The one thing that is important to me this time around is the fork. I do not want to buy a $2000+ bike and have to change out the fork.

Any advice?

Chris
Since Rock Shox got bought by SRAM, their quality has gone way up. The Reba is a pretty high end single crown fork. I'm not sure what type of riding they suggest you use it for, but the ones I've tried at the LBS were very very nice. If I had the $$$ for a nice Zoke or Fox, I would buy one just for a little more bling factor. :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well first up.. if you pay $2000+ for a Trance2 and you live in the US you're getting ripped the hell off - When I was looking at the Trance's I was offered the T2 for $1750 and $1400 for the T3.

Don't know how much switching of parts off your old stumpy you would be doing if it's all XT since the T2 is basically all XT.

I have a T3 and it came with a UDKE XC, but it was defective (bad bushings) so I sent it back and bought a REBA SL and it works great so far - I have about 300 miles/27 hours on it. Only thing worrying me these days with the RS shocks / forks is that they may have lesser assembly quality for OE parts than over the counter stuff. I like the adjustments you get with the REBA SL and don't find I need the pop-lock feature ( I can reach down quite fine to adjust the motion control), I do find you need to run less pressure than RS suggests.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
LyNx said:
When I was looking at the Trance's I was offered the T2 for $1750 and $1400 for the T3.
your dealer is ripping us (other dealers) off. The retail on a trance 3 is 1600, the retail on a trance 2 is $2000. If you get a "deal" then good for you, but the proffit margins on expensive bikes aren't all that big in the first place.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Jm. said:
your dealer is ripping us (other dealers) off. The retail on a trance 3 is 1600, the retail on a trance 2 is $2000. If you get a "deal" then good for you, but the proffit margins on expensive bikes aren't all that big in the first place.
Oh well I can't help that - good to know he's giving some good deals. Maybe it's cause it's being shipped out of the US and there's no taxes and he knows he won't be doing a whole lot of after sales service :rolleyes:

The Trance3 isn't worth $1600 IMHO, not for the components that are on it - especially that crappy a$$ RaceFace BB.

BTW $1600 is the MSRP - manufacturers suggested retail price, as in GIANT "We're selling you these bikes @ X and we suggest you sell them @Y". If dealers sell them for the MSRP or lower is their perogative. I would guess that the bike industry is no different than the computer, or any other retail business and would normally sell most stuff under MSRP, by 5-10% minimum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.