Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get into mountain biking for health and fun. I ride some old treks and diamond backs that i barrow from my roommates. they are both hard tails and pretty basic bikes.

i want to get something, but im not a tight budget so i think used is my best bang for my buck. i will mostly be riding trails at he local college and similar trails. nothing major. no major jumps for me or anything.

i have been looking around and im liking the last of the years of teh trek Y frame. any input on these? bad that i have noticed is that from all of my research and minimal amount of personal experience, id really like to have disc brakes but the Y series doesnt come with them.

i am 6', 170lbs, and 21 years old. i dont plan on getting much heavier than 180, so weight shouldnt be an issue.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
the y-frame is a pretty dated design and they have been discontinued for a while now so finding one in good condition might be difficult. you should probably try to find something newer like a Trek Fuel. since your on a tight budget i would recommend that you go with a hardtail, they give you more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Y-frame? Really?
I know it's personal preference, but I think those things are fugly. It's the frame design that a lot of dept store bikes try to rip off, and it's just become this horrible cliche'-on-wheels. You'll get horrible pedaling efficiency with that old setup, and you'd be MUCH better off with a decent hardtail with a newer fork.

·
I am SUCH a geek.
17 Posts
aws140 said:
i can find good modded ones for around $400-$500
If you're willing to spend that much, then may I suggest a Trek 4-series hardtail. I'm really happy with my Trek 4300. Got it from the local Trek shop for $480. It's not the one with disc brakes, but it has a really nice frame and decent Shimano components for the money. It's a joy to ride, and I've been pretty abusive with it so far to see what it can handle, and it hasn't skipped a beat.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4300/

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My first mountain bike was a Trek Y, I like the look but it is not the most efficient design, it climbs like a pig. If you're not tackling big hills then it's OK. For the type of riding you described you don't need disks, but I realize everyone want them now anyway. If they come on your new bike, fine, but don't waste a lot of money upgrading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.