Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a bike for my 9 year old daughter so I can get her out on the trails with me. She is a little over 5' tall. She is currently riding a 20" BMX style bike. I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars at first. I am looking at marketplace and craigslist. My question is should I be looking for 24" or larger. I read all the size charts and they say 24" but then I have been reading on here and kids younger and smaller are already at that 24" or larger bikes.

Maybe I just need to get her out on a bike with in those ranges and she how she feels.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is a little hard to answer... at her size the most efficient bike would be a 26" XS bike. That being said a 24" kids bike will bring her closer to the ground, and at 9, feeling confident on a trail is gonna be really important. I would look for a simple hardtail with a spring shock and disc brakes. Kids bikes that fit this bill tend to be expensive and another option would be to get a 26" hardtail in XS and buy a 24" rear wheel to make a kids mullet setup. My son is * and starting to outgrow his 20", and I am looking into this right now.

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Your 9 year old is super tall!

When my boy hit 5’, we moved him to a small frame 27.5” hardtail and he fits perfectly. He also rode my wife’s small frame 26” wheeled MTB and, naturally, fit great. He was on a 24” hardtail previously and he was way too big for it. The seat post was at its limit and he was scrunched. His legs are pretty long, but I’m sure your daughter has long legs if she’s that tall at 9.

Dan

·
Registered
287 Posts
My son is 54" tall (4 ft 6 in) and is also 9 years old. Perhaps your daughter is nearly 10 years old? He's on a 24" bike which fits perfectly and gives great confidence. But at over 5' tall, your daughter would feel at home on a 26" tire bike, and possibly an XXS adult frame 27.5 if she's a little shredder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So we went to a local bike shop last night. She did try a xxs 26” tire bike. It was the liv bliss. She loved it. It is way more then we want to spend just for her to grow out of it in a couple of years.

Still looking used. Are there any brands to avoid?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Try the Vitus stuff. Its usually a very very good value. They have a number of models.

So we went to a local bike shop last night. She did try a xxs 26" tire bike. It was the liv bliss. She loved it. It is way more then we want to spend just for her to grow out of it in a couple of years.

Still looking used. Are there any brands to avoid?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm with @svinyard on this one. I know you're trying to avoid spending a bunch of money on a bike your child will outgrow. And, she may already be at the top of the range for the Vitus Nucleus 26. But, the Vitus is a WAY better value at $630+shipping than the Liv is at $480. It will also have a much better resale value when your daughter outgrows it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If she can fit on an XXS 27.5" bike, you can just keep buying frames and move all the parts over to new frames as she outgrows them. Eventually you'll need to buy longer crank arms and a wider handlebar though. This is assuming you're mechanically inclined and can work on your own bikes.

Once bike prices normalize after Covid is over, you can find hard tail frames everywhere for cheap. Full Suspension frames for <$1000 too, especially once she gets up to the S size.

·
Registered
246 Posts
At over 5 foot tall, an xxs bike seems too small. She is XS maybe even s. Vitus is a fantastic bike for the money. Buy a decent bike and you increase her chances of enjoying it exponentially. We see it all the time. The geometry on a poor bike creates all sorts of weird challenges. Standover height doesn't allow them to feel confident. Reach is far too upright. It is a lot but you will resell a decent bike for half (or more) what you spent) and she will enjoy it.

You can buy a new frame as she grows and most of the components will transfer if she really likes it and you are worried about replacing the bike every year.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
this is correct.

At over 5 foot tall, an xxs bike seems too small. She is XS maybe even s. Vitus is a fantastic bike for the money. Buy a decent bike and you increase her chances of enjoying it exponentially. We see it all the time. The geometry on a poor bike creates all sorts of weird challenges. Standover height doesn't allow them to feel confident. Reach is far too upright. It is a lot but you will resell a decent bike for half (or more) what you spent) and she will enjoy it.

You can buy a new frame as she grows and most of the components will transfer if she really likes it and you are worried about replacing the bike every year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.