Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Will be looking at a used 2003 Cannondale F600 tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything I should particularily look out for or test, esp in C'dales? As in checking out a used car is there a general checklist? This will be the first time potentially purchasing a used bike, so not really sure.

I would imagine:

• Drive Train - Look for rust, worn cogs?
  • Rim damage - bent rims?
  • Cracks - Where to look?
  • Mechanical Disc Brakes - What to look out for?
  • Headshock - How to test? How do I know if it's shot or not?
Anything I missed?

Additionally, the seller is asking for $575, but considering it was $1100 new and is 5 yrs. old, i'm thinking it's too high. Thoughts?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
slightly strange
97 Posts
A few more things I'd inspect
  • Listen for any wierd clicking, creaking sounds.
  • Check the crank and cassette teeth to make sure they aren't worn down.
  • Make sure shifting is smooth, brakes work fine, and rotors aren't bent.
  • Inpect tire wear.

Also, don't be afraid to ask if you can take the bike for a good spin. You can't catch everything just looking at a bike.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think the price is too high unless its really mint. Bikes that age can go to about 35% of what they originally sold for. Presto covered things pretty well. Ask the seller about work done on the bike like any recent tuneups. Look for scored rotors and thin brake pads. If you can pedal it up a hill and the chain slips you know there is a problem with either the chain or cassette or maybe both. Heres the thing about a used bike and why it would be better to get the bike closer to $400. If the rotors, pads, chain and cassette need replacing plus new cables and a light tuneup you might be talking $200. All those things I mentioned will need to be replaced you just dont want to be doing it a week or so after you bought the bike.

When you go look at the bike you should have a list of the original equiptment. Swapping out and downgrading equiptment is very common. A lot of bikes get sold with lousy tires, seats and other equiptment that the owner takes from another bike he is keeping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you guys an update. Well...the person never showed. Apparently, there was some type of miscommunication as she thought we were meeting the day before. She has since sold the bike, so it's back to the drawing board for me. Will probably stick with a new bike as there are less hassles and unknowns.

Was 95% set on the C'dale BBQ F3, but now i'm starting to lean towards the Stumpjumper HT.

Thanks again for your help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.