Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 6' and tipping scale around 340 is the frame of the f7 able to stand up to twisting of my weight? I know the wheels will need to upgraded and as parts fail I replace them with higher quality parts. I like riding and now riding about 8 miles every other day 60/40 street/trail on a walmart special. It is time to get into a better frame as I continue dropping weight. I start at 370lbs four months ago but now the walmart bikes is start to fall apart. I like the feel of the f7 and priced around 600 so it in my range. I look at the f5 very nice looking but frame look more for speed than for toughness. Am I right? Thanks ahead for any advice and tips.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
First off, congrats on the -30 lbs! Keep it up!

I would say you shouuuld be ok as long as you aren't like taking it off huge drops lol. Alternately, you could always look for a pre-owned bike on Craigslist or something- something that is a lot nicer than the Walmart special but not to where you're dropping $600 and then finding out after the fact that the frame couldn't cut it. But hey, in a few months, you won't be 340 anymore, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopeful not! Thanks on grats it been hard but enjoyable. Last summer I hit the scales at 398 and start hiking.110 degree days made me sweat like nothing before. I am not a jumper, or hardcore mountain man not until I down to a light 250 then I might think of going nuts!:D Good idea on getting a user I will look into that. The special's frame not bad, it's the wheels and crank that failed. No surprise there. Fat man on a bike.;) The LBS said the co2 frame is fine and like you said no hardcore jumping and offroading. But I still wanted to others option.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
If you buy a new one from a local bike shop then your frame will be under warranty so if you break it from just normal riding then you get a new one=) I would frankly be REALLY bummed to find out that a Cannondale couldn't take more of a beating than a Wal-Mart bike...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
DFYFZX said:
If you buy a new one from a local bike shop then your frame will be under warranty so if you break it from just normal riding then you get a new one=) I would frankly be REALLY bummed to find out that a Cannondale couldn't take more of a beating than a Wal-Mart bike...
ahh, yes, the warranty, i am not too familiar with what can and can't be covered under warranty, but if that's the case, then just pony up to an F7 and if it breaks, it breaks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warranty is a good point. The price is not too crazy for me. I seen some human power bikes go for as much as a klr650. That too me is crazy, but to others it is nothing. I know wheels will be replaced, and rotors larger if I find they can not safely stop my mass. But as item give out due to stress I will deal with them as they come. I just want a frame that last for some time before replacement is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.