Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I'm looking at a 2019 Big Honzo frame. I set my budget at $1500 for the frame, so the Honzo is stretching it a bit, and it has me wondering if there's anything else out there I'm missing. The requirements:

-120-140mm fork
-67-68° HTA
-73-75° STA
-Sub 4lbs
-~$1500
-Two bottle cages
-Can fit a 2.4" tire
-Not superboost
-29er capable.

I'm coming off of a 2013 Stumpjumper carbon hardtail that was awesome when I lived in Raleigh, but its a little undergunned here in WNC. I do like the light weight of the stumpy, but it needs to be able to handle a little larger tire and the 71.5° HTA is not confidence inspiring in Pisgah.

So anyways, tell me why I shouldn't get a 2019 Kona Big Honzo, and what I should get instead.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Personally, I like that bike a lot, even though I'm not a HT fan for "real" mtb.

The only down-marks I've read and heard are a low-ish BB (taken care of by fitting 29er wheels, I suspect), and tight rear tire clearance in 29er mode, though I may have that confused with another bike.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I like that bike a lot, even though I'm not a HT fan for "real" mtb.

The only down-marks I've read and heard are a low-ish BB (taken care of by fitting 29er wheels, I suspect), and tight rear tire clearance in 29er mode, though I may have that confused with another bike.
Tight clearance with 29s, really? Dang, I had no idea.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MBA review says Kona designed around 29 x 2.4.

Though we all know those numbers are often overly conservative from the mfgs.
Ah, I can handle a 2.4. I'd like to run a 2.35 Ikon in the summer and a DHRII 2.3 in the winter. Anything more than that and I think climbing would be a chore. And we have a shitload of climbing here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.