Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for trails in south eastern Tn that are good for beginners or less experienced riders.
I’m doing good on moderate trails but not ready for advance trails yet. Can anyone recommend some trails? Has anyone ridden Bushy Creek near Ocoee ?
Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
Lots of choices, but it can be pretty rugged. Check out Citigo, Indian Boundary. Lots of gravel options in the Nantahala Forest outside of Robbinsville NC. Lots of options that aren't technical, but everything is on a hill. Or a mountain. What about Tsali? I haven't been there in twenty years, but it was always fun and not extreme.

Enterprise is a great choice if it's for beginners. Nine miles north of Chattanooga by the VW plant, right off of interstate. Very convenient to access, it's like a big park, you really can't get lost, you're never far from anything. I think there are four MTB trails between 3 and 8 miles long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I’m going to try as many as I can. Never heard of some of them.
I just happened to ride the Jack Rabbit trails yesterday for the second time. I really like the trails and the rolling hill. I think weekdays are best but I’ve never been there on a weekend.
It is very popular with hikers also. But it has good visibility and the few hikers that I have passed were very nice. So far my favorite trail system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brush creek is a nice trail and one of my favorites. I would ride it with someone else if you can its kind of remote same with the Tanasi trail system. I got bit by a snake while riding there in March but it wasn't poisonous which is good because I was by myself. Be safe!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TNtrailrider. I’m considering putting in at the trailhead on the highway and riding it to the Ocoee white water center. I usually ride alone and go at an easy pace. I’m going to have my wife drop me off then meet me at the center. If I read the map correctly I can take brush creek to old copper rd that goes to the park.
I have ask how did you get bit by a snake while mountain biking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah that's the route I usually take. When you come out of brush creek you'll be at the top of Boyd Gap overlook and there's a trail that goes down to the road at the left of the parking lot as you look at the view. That section is a bit janky but very rideable, from there make a left when you hit the blacktop about a mile or so down there's a bathroom or pavilion building can't remember which and the trail picks up there and follows along near the river and can be a bit muddy at times.

It was a warm day this past March when I got bitten and I was pedaling when it struck me which really surprised me as I never saw it. I'm assuming he came out of hibernation to warm up in the sun on the trail maybe? It was about 70 degrees that day so it was warm for March. I know snakes can be a bit cranky when they come out of hibernation. Crazy part is he struck me on the inside of my ankle from the opposite side of my bike as my foot came down on the stroke... uncanny. I mean there's only a few inches maybe where my ankle is exposed on the down stroke from that side and I was moving and pedaling. Felt like someone whacked me real hard with a stick on my ankle but it also stung. Then it took off fast down the hill through a bush and shook the whole bush but I didn't get a good look at it because I was on a curve and it was already behind me as I figured out what happened. My sock was bloody and I got a cool pic of the bite marks. I've ran over snakes before but never had one strike me as I rode by before.
I had a friend that almost hit a bear riding near the whitewater area too so be safe and keep your eyes up the trail as you ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow !!! That’s just crazy. I’m sure glad for you it wasn’t a rattlesnake or something.
I have seen bear scat near the river next to the picnic area. I’ll keep my eyes wide open on the trails for sure ! We hiked most of the old Copper rd. yesterday but turned around after about 2.25 miles cause of a large mud crossing. We were just wearing sneakers. It must get real bad after a rainy day. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally made it out to Brush Creek in Ocoee Tn.
Here is what I thought of it. Remember I’m an old newbie. Starting at the trailhead on highway 64 I found the true meaning of a single track. It was very narrow. And I figured out why they call it Brush Creek. I’m glad I wore long sleeves. Lots of brush and briars for the beginning. It took a little getting used to riding a narrow path. I wanted to improve my skills and the 6 mile ride to Boyd’s overlook I got plenty of practice. From the overlook I headed to Old Copper rd trail to the Ocoee Whitewater Center. From the overlook I encountered some rock gardens most I managed but not all.
Overall I would say it was a great ride. I still need more experience and this helped. There are plenty of places that challenged me.
I almost forgot be careful crossing the wooden bridges they were covered with wet leaves. Very slippery. And one bridge is broken by a fallen tree. They cleared the tree but the bridge is bad. On the Old Copper rd. there’s a few trees down but it’s passable. Glad I rode it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'll be another that suggest enterprise south. Black Forrest/TNT/Log Jam trails are great easy pedaling good flowing trails for the beginner with enough elevation change and fast sections to keep things interesting. My 12yo son enjoys them and he prefers trails that don't require long strenuous pedaling. Atlas trail has steeper elevation gradients and some jump lines and one of the directions is way better than the other but I can't remember which direction it is. Neither have any "oh sh*t I shouldn't be going down this" scary features that I recall that would make a beginner or intermediate rider feel out of place.

Worst case of chiggers I've ever gotten in my life was from Enterprise though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.