Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone knows if any retailers have a blow up sale on 5spots frames later on the new year? so far the cheapest price i've seen is about $1,900.00,i'm a little skeptical about used frames(can't fine any on my size anyways).or is this price is about is good as is gona get? i cuold buy it but i'm thinking if i can wait 2-4 months and save 400-500 bucks, that could be my fork. anyways any imput will be highly appreciate it. thanks in advance and happy new years.cheers.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
RCC said:
does anyone knows if any retailers have a blow up sale on 5spots frames later on the new year? so far the cheapest price i've seen is about $1,900.00,i'm a little skeptical about used frames(can't fine any on my size anyways).or is this price is about is good as is gona get? i cuold buy it but i'm thinking if i can wait 2-4 months and save 400-500 bucks, that could be my fork. anyways any imput will be highly appreciate it. thanks in advance and happy new years.cheers.
A lot of homers on these boards are phenomenal wrenches and their bikes/frames are the best maintained rigs around. Why are you afraid of buying used? Turner honors warranty no matter how many times the frame exchanged owners. I don't think you'll see anyone blowing 5 Spots out, especially no that they switched the design to TNT and HL frames are going for a premium. Supergo still has 2004 5 Spots for $1600 or $1700 with the 5th element coil. which doesn't stack up in performance to RP3s or DHXs.

_MK
 

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK_ said:
A lot of homers on these boards are phenomenal wrenches and their bikes/frames are the best maintained rigs around. Why are you afraid of buying used? Turner honors warranty no matter how many times the frame exchanged owners. I don't think you'll see anyone blowing 5 Spots out, especially no that they switched the design to TNT and HL frames are going for a premium. Supergo still has 2004 5 Spots for $1600 or $1700 with the 5th element coil. which doesn't stack up in performance to RP3s or DHXs.

_MK
i had a bad experience buying used one time and been a little skeptical every since. but thanks for the imput MK i'll keep that in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Original Owner Only

RCC said:
i had a bad experience buying used one time and been a little skeptical every since. but thanks for the imput MK i'll keep that in mind.
Even though Turner may choose to take care of a second owner regaring warranty work, he is under no obligation to do so. Check the warranty statement on his site.

It states that the warranty is for the original owner, only..... and is not transferrable. DT may choose ot honor it, but you are definitely taking a chance regarding the warranty.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Even though Turner may choose to take care of a second owner regaring warranty work, he is under no obligation to do so. Check the warranty statement on his site.

It states that the warranty is for the original owner, only..... and is not transferrable. DT may choose ot honor it, but you are definitely taking a chance regarding the warranty.
Right, but historically speaking, Turner has yet to turn down anyone's legitimate warranty claim, or have I missed someone?

_MK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
MK_ said:
Right, but historically speaking, Turner has yet to turn down anyone's legitimate warranty claim, or have I missed someone?

_MK
You're correct, as far as I can tell, but you can't just assume that this will continue into the future. If DT himself were sure that he would warranty bikes from non-original owners, he would put that in writing. He did not do so.

He'd sell more bikes with the better warranty. At best, all we can say is he's taken care of riders until now and there's no reason to believe that it will stop. I would stop short of telling people that DT will take care of them if they buy a second-hand frame. We just don't know that.

If DT runs into money issues..... or simply can't afford to support second-hand frame warranties, he'd have to stop. No one would blame him since it's clearly stated in the warranty.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
You're correct, as far as I can tell, but you can't just assume that this will continue into the future. If DT himself were sure that he would warranty bikes from non-original owners, he would put that in writing. He did not do so.

He'd sell more bikes with the better warranty. At best, all we can say is he's taken care of riders until now and there's no reason to believe that it will stop. I would stop short of telling people that DT will take care of them if they buy a second-hand frame. We just don't know that.

If DT runs into money issues..... or simply can't afford to support second-hand frame warranties, he'd have to stop. No one would blame him since it's clearly stated in the warranty.
You're right.

_MK
 

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
El Chingon said:
What size frame are you looking for? I know a guy who is selling a used Large, and it is in great shape.
Chingon, i need a medium size.thanks tho. and thanks everyone for all the 411something to think about for sure...later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Not to highjack

the thread,but it's also realitive to frame purchases. It says on the website that you can get up to 600 dollars credit for a new frame by sending in your old one. Does this pertain to warranty issues, or can you do this just to upgrade? My 02 is now 6 years old and I love her dearly,but a 5 spot has been calling my name for awhile now and I need to silence this ruckus in my head.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Broken or mint, warranty return or not, it does not matter. It's worth $600 in trade in. If you can sell it for more than $600, do that and put the extra $$ towards the Spot instead of doing a trade in.
 

·
Now... harder to kill.
Joined
·
449 Posts
Hey RCC, two weeks ago Supergo Laguna and Santa Monica had frames at $1499. I believe thay both had mediums (but I was looking at XLs).
 

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
415m3 said:
Hey RCC, two weeks ago Supergo Laguna and Santa Monica had frames at $1499. I believe thay both had mediums (but I was looking at XLs).
thanks man i'm already hooked up.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top