Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey front rangers....
I just ditched my 08 Enduro to grab something different because I've been stuck with the E150 fork with the 25mm thru axle and have been quite frustrated with nothing being compatible with it.
Currently I've been looking at the Cannondale Moto 2, a Remedy, and the Nomad for my new ride. I've been out test riding a few of these but not able to get them on a real trail test ride, and its hard getting the true test in a parking lot at the LBS.
I do most of my riding in Palmer, Monument, Dakota Ridge, the couple trips to Keystone during the summer, and trying to get into more of the FRing side of AM as well.
Any body have any of the 3 bikes listed above that they would recommend for the Front Range or anything else that you might recommend to me?
Any help would be appreciated
Gracias!

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Talk to Mojo about demo'ing a bike (nomads). Also, Golden Bike shop may have one you can demo. There's always Chili Pepper in Moab where you can take out a Rental Nomad for a weekend.

As for the Cannondale, Check with Jason at Pedal Pushers. They have a demo program you could try out a Cannondale as well. As for Trek... not sure who would demo those.

You should also look at the Yeti 7. They're here in Golden and do have a demo program from the factory. You'd have to go to a Yeti Dealer to figure out who you'd go through to do it. Wheat Ridge Cyclery can probably help, along with several members on this forum.

ie

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
Check out the Canfield brothers One I have been extremely pleased with that bike it can do everything from casual trails to some of the gnarlier stuff.

·
Registered
313 Posts
just my .002-- but I wouldn't go with the C-Dale Moto. Havn't heard good things and it is way overpriced. Nomad or Remedy for sure!

Also a Fox 36 on front of either bike should be perfect. My buddy ran an air DHX on his nomad w/ a 36 and crushed everything at keystone! (though the bike was hefty). One thing I think w/ the older nomad's though was you had to run air shocks either soft or hard-- there was no inbetween due the muchy middle of the stroke.

From my other friend that has many rides on both nomad and a remedy-- he told me the remedy climbed better (granted that was the older nomad) but the nomad might have had an adv. on the downs.

Either bike = really sick :) and honestly I don't think I would buy anything else ( maybe the Yeti 7 or a Transition Covert but I don't really know how they stack up--

oh oh oh-- and check for the 2010 Giant Reign X-- this bike could be the next Nomad/Remedy competition.

·
My leg feels funny
1,289 Posts
just a FYI I've read posts floating around about the 09+ Nomads not being as plush on the downs. They do sound like they pedal better though. I haven't ridden either an old or new so take it for what its worth but here's an example.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=581213&highlight=nomad

Acadian said:
if you really intend to ride it for what it was designed - I highly suggest that you stay away from the Nomad 2.

I've had a 08 Nomad, Nomad 2 and Trance X. The Nomad 2 was probably the worst of the bunch - yeah it pedals well, I'll give it that. But it feels like a 2" bike when the going gets rough.

Reign X all the way I say..

EDIT: and to be clear - I DID like my 08 Nomad. The 09 ruined it for me...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
pmrider said:
From my other friend that has many rides on both nomad and a remedy-- he told me the remedy climbed better (granted that was the older nomad) but the nomad might have had an adv. on the downs.

Either bike = really sick :) and honestly I don't think I would buy anything else ( maybe the Yeti 7 or a Transition Covert but I don't really know how they stack up--

oh oh oh-- and check for the 2010 Giant Reign X-- this bike could be the next Nomad/Remedy competition.
The new Remedys are built for Fox 32 150mm forks... great bike for a lighter guy or more xc-ish use. The new Trek Scratch is 170mm and kinda hefty. I think the '08-'09 Remedy was just right (I have an '09), but not available anymore. I'd be looking at a '10 Reign X for a new bike. Great value for money too.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
pmrider said:
One thing I think w/ the older nomad's though was you had to run air shocks either soft or hard-- there was no inbetween due the muchy middle of the stroke.
Put on a low vol. air can, problem solved. It's a $20 part and takes 5 mins to swap. Altho, if you're in there on a seasoned shock, might as well change the seals too; 10 min swap w/ seals change.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
andrewnielson said:
This is the nomad that I've been eyeing the last couple days:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=43708&cat=all

Looks like a killer deal, but any input on this bike and its setup?
Its about the going price for used nomads. This one isn't a 'killer' deal but has some nice upgrades. These have fallen in price based on the new frame (much better). The fork sux, but that's me. I'd say 2200 or 2300 is more realistic.

If you don't want the coil, I'll trade you for a DHX air... and I'll have it serviced first.

Othewise, if it fits, go for it. Remember, this is a all mountain bike that does better on the DH than the uphills. Regardless, I take mine everywhere.

ie.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
andrewnielson said:
are there any Nomad riders here on the front range that would recommend a 5.0 coil and vanilla36 up front on a Nomad?
or would that be to plushy?
I would rather have a coil on a nomad.

As for Fox, Its not my thing. I have an 06 Marz 66 SL that is light and very plush.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
If the '08 is the 1st gen Nomad, it will have pedal feedback in granny. It will go away in the middle ring, but climbing using platform pedals in rocky terrain isn't going to be ideal. My Uzzi VPX would literally kick your feet off the pedals.

Also, keep the coil shock, an rp23 would work but the dhx air won't be as good.

I think the 36 Van is a good fork, many think it's the best 6" fork on the market.

Lots of nice parts on the bike, if it's in really good shape it's worth the asking price.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Nomad!!!

I had a lot of problems with my Enduro and replaced it with a nomad and a Lyrik solo air. Not too long after I got it I found a Totem coil and threw that on there and still haven't put the Lyrik back on. Not that the Lyrik is a bad fork, but the Nomad is not hindered at all by the weight or height of the Totem.

I've read all the complaints about the DHX air, but it hasn't affected my riding in the slightest. I looked long and hard at the Remedy as well, but it had a few different things that kept me away, but it is a nice bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.