Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know, call me picky, but I think I'll replace the cables just to be sure. And other than tires, it appears original, assuming the Cinelli suede saddle is stock. Oh, the original stem I got, too; the guy had it set up as a commuter, so changed out the stem early on. The stock IBOC stem even retained the OE sticker on the quill of a poor Japanese-English translation explaining how to thread the brake cable through it. Funny.

Afterwards, as long as I was in the neighborhood, I took the MB-1 out for its maiden mtb ride at "Rancho Canada del Oro" park, located off McKean Rd. in south S.J. It was hot. Interestingly, the other parks that surround this one (maybe it's just a single park - is my first time in the area) do not allow bikes at all. So can you guess what? Yeah, all horses all the time. Sheeze. But I made the best of it and had a few nice, and some interesting, chats. Turned out one couple were also mtbers, so it was nice to shall a more complete perspective with them. Did I mention it was hot?

Longwell Canyon was a nice DH run on the MB-1. I was whistling like a canary on the blind curves (I didn't have a bell), cuz every equestrian (there were 6) told me they'd be climbing that trail. I suppose I may have dissuaded them of that notion when I explained my route. :)

The MB-1 is a sweet handling bike.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
scooderdude said:
I don't know, call me picky, but I think I'll replace the cables just to be sure. And other than tires, it appears original, assuming the Cinelli suede saddle is stock. Oh, the original stem I got, too; the guy had it set up as a commuter, so changed out the stem early on. The stock IBOC stem even retained the OE sticker on the quill of a poor Japanese-English translation explaining how to thread the brake cable through it. Funny.

Afterwards, as long as I was in the neighborhood, I took the MB-1 out for its maiden mtb ride at "Rancho Canada del Oro" park, located off McKean Rd. in south S.J. It was hot. Interestingly, the other parks that surround this one (maybe it's just a single park - is my first time in the area) do not allow bikes at all. So can you guess what? Yeah, all horses all the time. Sheeze. But I made the best of it and had a few nice, and some interesting, chats. Turned out one couple were also mtbers, so it was nice to shall a more complete perspective with them. Did I mention it was hot?

Longwell Canyon was a nice DH run on the MB-1. I was whistling like a canary on the blind curves (I didn't have a bell), cuz every equestrian (there were 6) told me they'd be climbing that trail. I suppose I may have dissuaded them of that notion when I explained my route. :)

The MB-1 is a sweet handling bike.
Ah, I see who got the CL special. :) Nice score, that thing was for a song.

Now you and YETIFIED and Fillet Brazed can ride together! :D

I rode Canada De Oro for the first time last week too. If you go during the week....zero people there. Seriously. I was the only person out there. Peaceful and really pretty, but the trails are kinda boring.

Did you climb up Catamount? Pretty steep eh?

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Rumpfy said:

I tried to talk him out of changing the housing to keep it OEM;) Is an official Mongoose thread in order?:rolleyes: That's the only other team I've seen. It should clean up very well. Ya, Fillet-Brazed and I can ride our Tomac Signatures and Scooterdude can sport the Team!

Oh I almost forgot, we can all go for a ride on our MB-1's too! Sweet bike horn doggie.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rumpfy said:

I rode Canada De Oro for the first time last week too. If you go during the week....zero people there. Seriously. I was the only person out there. Peaceful and really pretty, but the trails are kinda boring.

Did you climb up Catamount? Pretty steep eh?
Yep - up Catamount. What a grunt. I actually rode only the flatter parts and less extreme angles, and pushed the steeper pitches. I'd forgotten what a 28 x 28 feels like; I was 20+ years younger at the time when last I did. It was granny for most of the ride!

Yeah. Thanks for the kudos. :thumbsup:

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
badbushido said:
Hammer that baby!

Nice find. :thumbsup:

Johnny's on his tigged Signature model with traditional seatstays, which Fillet-Brazed and I have. Scooterdude's is a fillet brazed and tigged Team with a wishbone stay.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
YETIFIED said:
Johnny's on his tigged Signature model with traditional seatstays, which Fillet-Brazed and I have. Scooterdude's is a fillet brazed and tigged Team with a wishbone stay.
Stu,
You have a sig model? The one I saw on the NorCal vintage ride? I thought I recalled it being the same as this one that scooterdude just picked up? No?

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Stu,
You have a sig model? The one I saw on the NorCal vintage ride? I thought I recalled it being the same as this one that scooterdude just picked up? No?
Yes I do. I also have a Team (the one you saw on the NorCal vintage ride thread).

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
YETIFIED said:
Yes I do. I also have a Team (the one you saw on the NorCal vintage ride thread).
the IBOC's are post Tomac and not quite as cool as the super fast, cool, racy sig models. YOu dont want to see what mine looks like, but its a quick little ripper for around town commuting. :) Its got no decals except for the Shimano one on the stays.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
the IBOC's are post Tomac and not quite as cool as the super fast, cool, racy sig models. YOu dont want to see what mine looks like, but its a quick little ripper for around town commuting. :) Its got no decals except for the Shimano one on the stays.
Yup. Both Scooterdude's and mine are '89's and my Tomac Sig is an '87 or '88 and that was the only years they were produced. Yes I know the story about yours. It was VV's at one time. I'm thinking about making mine a Xbike, because it's a pretty light frameset.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
IMO, there are only a handful (ok not even that many) Mongeese that do anything for me.
Ya, and I have both of them, well, maybe an Amplifier just because.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
YETIFIED said:
Yup. Both Scooterdude's and mine are '89's and my Tomac Sig is an '87 or '88 and that was the only years they were produced. Yes I know the story about yours. It was VV's at one time. I'm thinking about making mine a Xbike, because it's a pretty light frameset.
I'd like to see yours. I wouldnt mind having one with the original parts and decals. With some of their frame details they look like they were made in teh Toyo factory next to the P-23s.

Now what really is bringing back some serious memories of first love are scooterdude's pics of that 88 MB-1. Wow. My first nice bike. Loved that thing.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
I'd like to see yours. I wouldnt mind having one with the original parts and decals. With some of their frame details they look like they were made in teh Toyo factory next to the P-23s.

Now what really is bringing back some serious memories of first love are scooterdude's pics of that 88 MB-1. Wow. My first nice bike. Loved that thing.
There's a Mongoose Tomac Signature in the vrc photo gallery that the guy has posted as a 1989 model, but it's an '87 or '88. There is no difference between the two years as far as I know. Well you know how they ride with their 72/73 angles and a great set of tubes.

Yes his MB-1 is clean. I rode it once when he first got it. Joe Steel and I both have '91 MB-1's.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YETIFIED said:
Got a link to a spec sheet for the Team, or a pdf/jpeg scan of the specs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.