Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although some parts are still on their way. The dream started about 2 yrs ago is finally mostly finished. She's a beast. 6 days at Whistler so far, gotta hurry for number 7 today.

Knolly DT Large with Vivid
Knolly grips
Spank Royala bar
Simtra stem (*will be replaced)
Chris King Devolution headset
Marzocchi "666 ATA" fork :)
Axiom seatpost (*will be replaced)
Salsa seatpost clamp
Hammerschmidt AM
Crank Bros 50/50 pedals (*will be replaced)
Saint front hub
Alfine 501 rear hub 36 spoke
Alfine tensioner (black sold out in USA)
Mavic 823 UST rims
Michelin DH 32 2.8" UST tires F/R /c Stans
Avid CODE 5 brakes
8" Deore XT 09 rotors
:::no derailleurs:::

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fabulous, absolutely amazing! Both durability and strength will be the issue. That is why I am trying to ride it hard at Whistler as much as I can. It's also another reason why I went with the biggest tires I could find, one more thing to 'cushion' any mishap.

The Hammerschmidt is just stellar. It stands out since the typical FD setup is instrinsically problematic (full tension on the FD and large cog intervals ) vs the RD (low tension determined by the RD spring, and smaller cog intervals).

The Alfine thus far is great, I have a chain guard on the way for it, which should arrive next week. I have not had problems with the chain coming off, but with PNW mud and snow that may be an issue. I am not doing any big gaps, so it should hold up.

I also saved $500 over a Rohloff (for both the HS+alfine combined), for equivalent or better shifting performance and the ability to shift multiple gear inches (with the HS) which is better for real world biking (i.e. you don't have to drop 5 gears as you approach the 'steep up', just downshift the HS).

Weight,on the otherhand, is extreme! Lol, but who cares about that?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I got my wish. Whistler was wet this weekend. I also got to test out my helmet on the first run as I went over the bars after a slipped pedal mid-air (even with the 5-10's...those 50/50's are slick in the wet). The crash rotated both the shifter and brake lever (thankfully I left them a bit loose) and partially tore the shifter hose to the Alfine which required adjustment. The plastic indicator window didn't brake, so that is good. Here is a pic of the bike before the hosedown. I guess the HS/ALfine combos passes the mud test. Whistler mud is weak though, compared to Olympia mud, and Georgia red clay.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Cool to see such an interesting build dude...... Enjoy that puppy, no der's is great.... Gotta love it... Enjoy....

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RideEverything said:
Why the steepest head angle adjustment for riding in the Bike Park?
Because its harder :p

Actually, I was too tired to do anything else. Woke up at 4am to drive up, then back down. Behaps that's why I crashed on the first run, or maybe its the HA.

I have not experimented at all with geo. I am still tuning the fork and shock, and getting all the new parts on as they trickle in. I am not sure I want something really slack anyway, since the riding I am working on atm is mostly jumping skills. When I venture up to the top of the mountain (just opened) I will probably go slacker for the steeps, but things are twisty up there too, so I doubt I will go much beyond middle settings.

What do you guys run for park riding?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
I dunno, but probably a RS Sid or Manitou Skareb.... pretty light...
Yeah, I hear ya. I was going to drill holes in the DT rear triangle and bottom bracket area. That looks waaay too stiff. I could probably save 50 grams right there. But, I couldn't find a big enough drill bit :(

Come to think of it, I did have an SID Race at 2.9 lbs, back in the day on my Zaskar. Where or where have we gone astray. I miss all those fire roads and hunters in full-size pickups...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RideEverything said:
Why the steepest head angle adjustment for riding in the Bike Park?
I went back to Whistler again this weekend. I think that makes 5 trips and 8 days riding. Still loving the DT.

I went to the slackest HA, despite worries about manueverability issues. I would say it is even more manueverable than before with the lower CG. Much better than extending the fork (probably since the long travel setting lengthens the WB without lowering the CG) . Even in the tight stuff it did fine. I did back to back tests on Angry Pirate, and it felt so nice in both settings. On the jumps it was just as nice as before, and on the berms it was much better in the slack setting. To test the manuverability even more I tried my hand at Crack Addict and only bounced off one tree!

The Alfine hub is still holding up. I have noticed a bit of creep on the shifter. If it gets out of whack (the yellow tabs need to line up in 4th gear) it will skip on you under power. I had to adjust it twice this weekend (just a twist of the cable adjust). I don't remember this happening before, and it may be a result of the crash. The 4th gear position is now off center on the gear window, even though its 4 clicks up from 1.

For the first time I had a problem with one of the bike shops up at Whistler. I had a stripped bolt on the caliper, so couldn't change my front brake pads without having someone drill it out. They said it would 'just take a few minutes' and he could get to it between other work, it would be about 30 min, and he wondered if I wanted him to 'throw in' the pads while he was at it, I said sure and said he could charge me a few bucks for his time. I got a bite at Cittas and returned to find disaster. They replaced the rear pads (which were only 3 weeks old), threw away the perfectly good bolt on the rear caliper, and did nothing to fix the front. 3 hours later, I had used pads on the front, and air leak (no bleed), and crappy spilt spring things, instead of bolts in both my calipers. And as a bonus, they charged me 50 bucks, cash only, and that included the 15% discount. They tried to say the 15% discount was for the bother they caused me, but there were 15% discount signs posted all over the shop. After I returned from the ATM, it became a 20% discount. Gee thanks guys, so I am supposed to thank you for messing up the repair, spending 6 times as long as promised and costing 3 times as much, and lieing about my own personal 15% discount for my troubles?

I am going to stick to Fanatiko and Summit from here on. So much for trying to give business to a newer shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts