Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying a different setup on the BigShot.

Nitto North Road thin wall cro-moly bars (540mm wide), Moots stem, standard Avid brake levers and v.1 calipers, '80s Suntour XC thumbshifter under the bar. The shifter has more than enough throw for the 9-speed cassette.

·
Registered
845 Posts
shiggy said:
Trying a different setup on the BigShot.

Nitto North Road thin wall cro-moly bars (540mm wide), Moots stem, standard Avid brake levers and v.1 calipers, '80s Suntour XC thumbshifter under the bar. The shifter has more than enough throw for the 9-speed cassette.
Where is everybody getting these Specialized tires???

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Well, since somebody else has already hijacked this thread with tire questions...

How do you like those tires here in the NW shiggy?

Of course, I'm presuming you're in Oregon from your involvement with the Creampuff. ;)

Thanks,
-Ian (Will I be the lone Seattleite on this board?)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Where is the shifter?

Please post a pic of the shifter.

Nitto North Road thin wall cro-moly bars (540mm wide), Moots stem, standard Avid brake levers and v.1 calipers, '80s Suntour XC thumbshifter under the bar. The shifter has more than enough throw for the 9-speed cassette.[/QUOTE]

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Nice

I've been eyeing those North bars for a while. I have a pair of no name mustache bars on my commuter which are my favorite bars ever. Just hook your thumbs in the crook at the front and you are ready to go.

I think my no names are actually 3-speed type bars which are inverted.

I'll try to post a photo in the next couple of days. I much prefer it to drops.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Enel said:
I've been eyeing those North bars for a while. I have a pair of no name mustache bars on my commuter which are my favorite bars ever. Just hook your thumbs in the crook at the front and you are ready to go.

I think my no names are actually 3-speed type bars which are inverted.

I'll try to post a photo in the next couple of days. I much prefer it to drops.
Got moustaches bars on my commuter too and loving them as weel. Shifters are on the frame thought, I always wandered if thumbshifter could work on the moustache

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
green mt. boy said:
Please post a pic of the shifter.

The shifter worked fine.
I still need to work on the brake levers positioning. It was a bit awkward on the trail. I will try a few different setups. If I can not get it to work I will go back to drops.

Shifter pics:

Attachments

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Damn you must have long fingers.

I`ve tried thumbies mounted under a few times.I just miss on reach.Great shifter you have there.Not much to go wrong.Curious as to how you are enjoying the big wheels.Let us know what you think.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeff said:
I`ve tried thumbies mounted under a few times.I just miss on reach.Great shifter you have there.Not much to go wrong.Curious as to how you are enjoying the big wheels.Let us know what you think.
Jeff
Still fiddling with the setup. When I had the brake levers in further and flatter the shifter was closer. They hit each other with the brake lever angled down. I may switch to a barend shifter if I can not get it right.

As it was shifting was fine.

I like the big wheels. Always have. Still like the 26" wheels, too.

How 'bout a 69er mongrel? :D

Attachments

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Ya!!!!

Ya,with drops flipped up,a 2.5 dh in front,2.35 big apple out back,52-42/11-26 corn cobb and down tube shifting.Oh wait,no down tube ,damn.It`s cool the way it is.
shiggy said:
Still fiddling with the setup. When I had the brake levers in further and flatter the shifter was closer. They hit each other with the brake lever angled down. I may switch to a barend shifter if I can not get it right.

As it was shifting was fine.

I like the big wheels. Always have. Still like the 26" wheels, too.

How 'bout a 69er mongrel? :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeff said:
Ya,with drops flipped up,a 2.5 dh in front,2.35 big apple out back,52-42/11-26 corn cobb and down tube shifting.Oh wait,no down tube ,damn.It`s cool the way it is.
I could get a Schwinn "Krate" Stick Shift top tube shifter! :p

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
You know whats next.

Ya baby,A banana seat with shock struts.I`m sure you could find somethin in you color pallet.
Jeff
shiggy said:
I could get a Schwinn "Krate" Stick Shift top tube shifter! :p

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
How 'bout 287-Vs, Shiggy?

That's what I use with moustache, inverted-cruiser and other similar bars that I've experimented with.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GlowBoy said:
That's what I use with moustache, inverted-cruiser and other similar bars that I've experimented with.
I know the 287V will work. I have several pairs of the Avid levers and wanted to see if they could work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.