Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 10+ yo look ergo stem on a road bike that i never ride anymore. and i would like to raise the bars on a 15yo steel mtb that now has a 1 inch quill.
the ergo seems to fit , and feels stable, so i think it is probably safe, but i dont want to break my neck proving that.
any opinions?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Sure, Why Not

You'll have to shim the handle bars as MTB bars are a bit narrower that road bars.

Other than that it'll work fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow $10 for the shim

i think ill do the beer can.actually the duct tape will probably work. i was more concerned about the strength of the pivots in the stem, but im not planning on jumping off stuff.
i just got an new azonic bar for$15 at pricepoint, which seems to have quite a bit more value than the shim.

the stem seems pretty strong. well see.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys were right

i rode 10 miles yesterday with my duct tape shim. it was fine. today in the much hotter temps (is this really gwb fault...he doesnt seem that powerful) it failed on a 20 miler. now ill try the beer can shim. sorry, im a scot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Look Ergostems are great for their intended purpose, but that isn't off-road riding.

You'll note that Look track bikes have traditionally come with an integrated version of the ergostem.While the Look track bike is made for track monsters, many of those giant guys replace the multi-adjustable stem with a CNCed piece of aluminum. Not adjustable, but doesn't flex either.

Riding your old bike around the neighbourhood? No problem. Riding off road? Don't use that stem. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
follow up. the beer can shim.

beer cans have gotten very thin. i found cutting a long strip of alu from one and folding it over on it self about 5 times seemed to work. the stem has not slipped yet despite 180lbs pushing downhill or pulling out of the saddle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.