Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look at the soon to be polished pretties...

My friend is polishing up some of the new XTR cranks for some single speed goodness. I thought that people might want to take a look. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

As soon as I figure out how to make my photos smaller I will get them up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
avow943 said:
My friend is polishing up some of the new XTR cranks for some single speed goodness. I thought that people might want to take a look. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

As soon as I figure out how to make my photos smaller I will get them up.
It's been 10 hours. Where the heck are the pictures?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
toonces said:
i have an older set of XTR cranks that i want to polish. how abouts did you get that done?
There's been a few threads on this. The older cranks (dark grey hard ano) finish is a royal biyatch to get through. The newer finish is very light and easy to get gone, the older was super durable, and one of the threads in the past had a guy in his garage for what he said was like 8 hours. You need fairly agressive methods to get it off, then you need to remove all the scouring marks, PITA. Good luck, no wish to rain on your parade, just a word of caution!

1,420 Posts
escamillo said:
8 hours? could have saved himself a bit of time with this ano stripper. found with quick google search:

http://www.bluelightningproducts.com/c=0MYkmMD0avEw2OzgLmjh3HVG7/product/ADPT

e
That would work well if they were ano, but they are painted. I am the one that they are referencing. I also tried paint stripper on one, but it didn't save any time.The finish under the paint is really bad, with many deep gouges that need to be sanded to perfection. It is doable, but it takes time and a lot of blistered fingers, unless you have access to specialized powered tools. I had this set polished to a high shine, like the ones pictured, then I took a scotch brite pad to them, so they would match the Ti finish of my bike.

Here is a link to the post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=202137&highlight=polished+cranks

Attachments

·
what's for lunch today?
158 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
There's been a few threads on this. The older cranks (dark grey hard ano) finish is a royal biyatch to get through. The newer finish is very light and easy to get gone, the older was super durable, and one of the threads in the past had a guy in his garage for what he said was like 8 hours. You need fairly agressive methods to get it off, then you need to remove all the scouring marks, PITA. Good luck, no wish to rain on your parade, just a word of caution!
is it the M960 that is the harder to get stripped? that's the pair i have and they're used so some of the job is already done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My buddy said that the new XTR was much harder to remove the finish than the previous stuff. He also said three hours is the longest that it has ever taken to polish a set of cranks (new xtr). The shortest time were a pair of 105 cranks that are on his 'cross bike. Only a half an hour. I might get a photo of those too and put them on the boards.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Proven wrong again...

I always thought that it was only the Scottish and Welsh that found sheep sexy, BUT that Black Sheep is absolutely lewd!

Very nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I doubt that your are proven wrong. My friend is a silver smith and has all of the proper tools, plus the experience to make it happen quickly. I am going to take my XT cranks over and have them done up all pretty like. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.