Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a look 986 and when i fit my fork the crown comes into contact with the head tube of the frame. I am sure all parts are fitted. I have made a spacer and put it between the crown and the bearing race. This has eliminated the contact but now there's a gap, which i would say is too big. I could always fit a thinner spacer but surely a spacer shouln't be necessery.

Maybe i'm doing some thing wrong or missing some thing?

i have uploaded some photo's

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, the resolution on my camera was too high and having trouble down sizing files. Have another look here tomorrow once i've taken more pics.

When you say "no gap" surley there is no contact? Just a very small gap... 5-10 thou perhaps

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
from the Look website, it looks like your frame uses an integrated headset. Are you using the original headset that came with the bike? I suspect your frame needs a particular brand. The idea is for there to be barely any space in between the fork crown and the headtube.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looking at my frame, there is less space than what you have. headset is FSA. Having said that, there is little harm if you need to run a spacer. It's not unheard of, though not common, to run a spacer under the race. The frame is rated for a 80-100mm fork. The 1/8" or so spacer you have isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the only danger in using a spacer underneath the crown racer is that there may be play between the crown racer and the steer-tube. The steertube flares out slightly so that the crown racer is a tight fit. By putting a spacer underneath the crown racer, you get less fit. I think as long as the fork doesn't touch the headtube, then you're okay. I think that's what Look wants. Many of Look's road bikes have an integrated headset where the carbon front fork looks like its seamless with the frame.

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for replies. the headset is a semi-integrated fsa unit which came with the frame as standard.

ckim12- good point however everything is nice and tight.

I think the only thing i can do is remove the spacer and fit a thinner one to suit.

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fervor_1 said:
Not sure where you posted your pictures.

Here's a cellphone pic of mine. No gap around the headset.

Where did you get your wheels from? How much did they cost? I can't find them in England, any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.