Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I live in west Strongmont. The trails in and around Lyons are the local trails. They are a 30-45 minute warm up/cool down before and after riding the trails. The Devil's Backbone area is about a 25 minute drive. Longmont is also a great location for road riding. I'm a fan.

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
Of course the trails on the St Vrain river that weave everywhere have some fun to be had! I have also ridden from the house to Lory state park in Larimer via Blue sky DB and some sweet backroads on the SS and it's a blast on top of having everything west. By the time you hit the trails you are ready to rocket! But in the end, Longmont is as flat as a pancake..

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I live in NW Longmont. 15 minutes to and from Gunbarrel, 10 minutes to Lyons (via car.)

I don't miss Boulder at all, but I'm old and married and have a kid. So your results may vary.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
I moved up to Longmont a year and a half ago and to tell you the truth I miss Broomfield alot. I can't stand longmont I am 29yrs old and this place is great for families but for younger people I would say no. You are actually moving farther away from all the singletrack because the closest trails are heil and hall ranch and if you are going to jefferson county you have to backtrack through boulder and jet down 93.

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
giantsaam said:
I moved up to Longmont a year and a half ago and to tell you the truth I miss Broomfield alot. I can't stand longmont I am 29yrs old and this place is great for families but for younger people I would say no. You are actually moving farther away from all the singletrack because the closest trails are heil and hall ranch and if you are going to jefferson county you have to backtrack through boulder and jet down 93.
I live in gunbarrel, threading the needle beteen lonmont and bldr. I hardly ever go o Jeff Co, and changes to Apex means I'll be riding there even less. I'd love to live in Lyons, out the door for the close stuff, and closer to CD/PV/SD/SSV. Closer to RMNP for hiking. But for now I can bike to work in about 10min, and my wife can ride 7 miles to her work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm 42 (43? I forget) with two kids, so Longmont might be right for us. My wife works there and is getting sick of the commute.

Now we live in South Boulder very close to Marshall Mesa, which of course is not awesome riding, but pretty acceptable out the door. I'll miss that.

I do hope to get out on the trails more this year and hope to run into some of the folks on this message board! Thanks again.

Steve
(Editor, VeloNews.com
Editorial director, Singletrack.com)

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
EricTheRed said:
I live in gunbarrel, threading the needle beteen lonmont and bldr. I hardly ever go o Jeff Co, and changes to Apex means I'll be riding there even less. I'd love to live in Lyons, out the door for the close stuff, and closer to CD/PV/SD/SSV. Closer to RMNP for hiking. But for now I can bike to work in about 10min, and my wife can ride 7 miles to her work.
I've heard from my realtor that living in Lyons is not all it's cracked up to be, due to a lack of services and that, in the summer, Lyons feels like a truck stop with all the people heading up to the Park, but I've never lived there myself. My realtor helped four families move to Lyons, and the same four families move out of Lyons.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
giantsaam said:
I'm 29. I can see Longmont not being ideal for a 29 year old on the prowl, but Broomfield is better?

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Pabs said:
I've heard from my realtor that living in Lyons is not all it's cracked up to be, due to a lack of services and that, in the summer, Lyons feels like a truck stop with all the people heading up to the Park, but I've never lived there myself. My realtor helped four families move to Lyons, and the same four families move out of Lyons.
I can definitely see that. Lyons is like living in a mountain town but without the requisite elevation gain. Super small town so you know everyone, vacation destination and certain drive thru stop on the way to Estes on top of that. The town can feel crowded in the summer and desolate in the winter. We've got gas, liquor stores, and good food (and brew) in town, but that's about it for services. The grocery store is under new ownership, though, and has made a big time turnound so the services thing may change.

I've been here about 10 years now and have seen quite a few things change. The one thing that has not changed, though, is how community driven Lyons is. This town has more community pride than I've ever experienced. That and good schools has made this an awesomeplace to live and raise kids. Plus, there's singletrack out the door.

I lived in Longmont for a year or so, too. We were on the SW corner of Strongmont (Nelson/Airport). The road riding out the door was good. Lots of gravel roads right there, too, so I'd spend a lot of time on them with my cross bike or my mtb. The singletrack wasn't too far to pedal (Lyons or Boulder Valley Ranch) if you have time and the drive is even shorter to trails. I liked living in Longmont. Look into the schools though. I'd want to be in the SilverCreek HS district but I don't know too much about gradeschools or middle schools. You might want to check in with Debaser on that - he just went thru that whole scenario.

Even without regards to riding but with regard to living and schools and raising kids, I was happier everytime I moved further north since moving out of Boulder. The riding is a bonus :thumbsup:

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
ignazjr said:
ILook into the schools though. I'd want to be in the SilverCreek HS district but I don't know too much about gradeschools or middle schools. You might want to check in with Debaser on that - he just went thru that whole scenario.
My ol' lady and I did a lot of research on that. Long story short . . . west of Main Street you're good.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
GraniteX said:
Now we live in South Boulder very close to Marshall Mesa, which of course is not awesome riding, but pretty acceptable out the door. I'll miss that.

Steve
(Editor, VeloNews.com
Editorial director, Singletrack.com)
Steve,
Something else to consider.... where do you commute? I have an office in longmont (live in Golden) and I do make that commute every now and then (I work from home mostly). Going to longmont from boulder in the morning is fine. Its the traffic that comes into Boulder FROM Longmont in the morning thats horrible! Seems like no one lives in Boulder anymore, just work there. IF you will have to commute to Boulder, your commute will be a lot worse than your wifes is now.

That said, My philosophy is to have a short commute to play than to work. The farther out you go, the less likely you'll be going. Its the truth. Kids will amplify this as they get older. But I also have absolute respect for those that want to be close to work for other benefits.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
Steve,
Something else to consider.... where do you commute? I have an office in longmont (live in Golden) and I do make that commute every now and then (I work from home mostly). Going to longmont from boulder in the morning is fine. Its the traffic that comes into Boulder FROM Longmont in the morning thats horrible! Seems like no one lives in Boulder anymore, just work there. IF you will have to commute to Boulder, your commute will be a lot worse than your wifes is now.
That depends on timing. Both my wife and I start work at 7:30 and its smooth sailing. I hear that 30 minutes later is when the road gets clogged. Heading back to Longmont around 4:30 is easy as well...

·
ride
5,275 Posts
The commute from Longmont to Boulder is a great bike commute depending on route. The LoBo (Longmont to Boulder) trail is also scheduled for completion sometime next Spring or summer, so that should help, too.

If you're at Velonews, you'll have an easy commute straight south. At least you get to stay off the diagonal.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Boormfield puts Giantsaam in the middle to where he has access to almost all the trails around him, though few right from his door. The two good things about Lyons is redstonecyclery and possibly Oscar Blues being so close to Hall Ranch. The good thing about Longmont is how close it is to Lyons. I'd live in a small town only if I already had some really good friends who lives there but even then, unless I worked there, it would be tough. I tried it and much prefer living in or close to a big city while being close to the trails. My commute to work is 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, but I can road or mountain bike right out of my door, and am closer to the mountains and other trails in the FR area.

I used to live (Highlands Ranch) closer to work (DTC) but that is so overrated since I had to drive to the trails and did not ride as much. The traffic sucked there and it was simply miserable being surrounded by millions of homes and roads, it seems. We are much happier now. Highlands Ranch was a cesspool anyway and my quality of life is much higher after moving west to Ken Caryl. In 10 mins, we will walk the dogs and be surrounded by the foothills. I'll go for a roadride at noon, and heck, we may even snowshoe after that since the trails are still snowed in.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pretty spot on. I live in West Longmont, on the college streets, and work at Seagate so it's a 4 mile commute. If you have 3 hours you can do a great loop on the roads to Heil to Picture Rock and back, or out to Hall and back. No singletrack less than a half hour away by bike. Road riding is great, as I typically road ride during lunch during the work week.

Getting more beer as the years go on too. New Oskar Blues restaurant, plus the Tasty Weasel, plus Lefthand is an easy bike on the path from my house, my daughter loves going there in the bike trailer.

I really like our neighborhood because all the trees are grown in, and we have a slightly larger property (only one house on top of us as opposed to all corners). Of course it is a 40 year old house and has its drawbacks.

My wife did the school research and set us up pretty well.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Pabs said:
If you are moving to the Lyons area, you need to consider that many houses have very high radon levels. Radon levels are generally high everywhere along the front range (many people don't realize there is a uranium mine just west of Highway 93 near White Ranch), but Lyons is a real hotspot. Maybe this is a big issue to you and maybe it isn't, but the fact is there for consideration.

Also, if you are on a well, some of the wells are sketchy due to low recharge rates, and some also have radon contamination.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.