Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of my rider friends think the perfect ride involves spending a few hours on a jump line, or hammering an 8-mile loop faster than the rest of us. I'm not the fastest or the raddest but it's fun trying to keep up.

My perfect ride is a big XC route that takes most of the day - or even multiple days. Especially when it's a new (to me) trail, passing through atleast somewhat remote territory, that involves little to no road/multi-use path connectors.

What are some of the longest stretches of singletrack open to mtb that you know of?

Longest point-to-point: should be 100% singletrack, or damn near. The Colorado Trail and AZT come to mind, but those both involve multiple wilderness detours on roads.

The longest I've personally ridden is the Ozark Trail in Missouri, with about 102mi from the southern terminus of the Karkagne section to Bass River resort. There's a mandatory 2mi road segment in the middle where the trail passes through a no-bike zone, and you can add another 12mi by doing the loop around Council Bluff Lake. So roughly 114mi, 98% singletrack.

There's the Ouchita Trail in Arkansas which I haven't ridden yet...MtbProj says 108mi, Singletracks says 137. Not sure what the disparity is about or if there's segments of road included.

Longest loop: Loops are harder to find but so enjoyable, so a little more relaxed standards. Should be at least 80% singletrack, and if it's a lollipop route the actual loop should be at least 80% of total mileage.

The longest I've been able to ride is again in the Missouri Ozarks...the Berryman Trail is a 27mi true loop and 100% singletrack.

The longest I can find is the Aspen Snowmass Mega Loop at 60mi and 95% singletrack. Surely there's a longer loop somewhere that doesn't involve a bunch of road riding or backtracking.

You guys know of longer trails that roughly match these criteria? What are the longest P2P/loops in your area?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Black Canyon trail is somewhere around 69 miles and it is all either single track or at most rarely used jeep double track for few miles. However I can put together other 100% single track loops of 100 miles in the McDowells. The Arizona trail despite some bypasses still has some 100 mile ST sections. Prescott circle trail is 56 miles and there is only may 2 mile of paved road in two sections. But maybe 4 miles in total of non single track total. There is work removing most that 2 or so miles of pavement. Easy to add more miles of ST on this loop if you want however. They just not designed as the same trail.

Are you looking for places to get mega miles with no back tracking or places where the it is the same name of the trail? I have found most of the longer trails are really conglomerations of other trails and linked together. Nothing wrong with that because I ride to ride and don't care what they call the stuff.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking for places to get mega miles with no back tracking or places where the it is the same name of the trail? I have found most of the longer trails are really conglomerations of other trails and linked together. Nothing wrong with that because I ride to ride and don't care what they call the stuff.
Yep, just looking for contiguous miles whether it's a single trail or multiple linked together

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Hey Squeak. I'm originally a MO boy so I know Council Bluffs and Berryman well. Nothing like riding the 26 mile Berryman in mid July with 100 degree temps 125% humidity, Ugg. My brother almost died there from heat exhaustion about 10 years ago. I thought I was going to have to take his body to the family reunion, lol.

Living out in CO now and wouldn't go back to Misery for anything.

I'm still hoping in the near future that some of the wilderness areas are open to MBers. I would love to ride the CT. I have hiked several sections and some sections I wouldn't want to ride. But I would love to ride from Buffalo Creek to Gunnison or even BC to Breck would be a blast.
Speaking of BC, it's pretty easy to put together a long loop, although as Joe says, it would be a conglomerate of other trails.
The out and back or lollipop of the Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass, part of the CT, has always been one of my favorites, although I haven't been on it in a few years. I thinks it's about 25 miles of single track.
The Kokopelli comes to mind as a PTP at around 145 miles, but it is probably 75% jeep roads through the desert and would require support unless you're super human. But still, popping out in Moab would be cool.
Then there is the Monarch Crest, which is also a conglomerate. But fun as hell. Monarch is only about 15 miles, but then on to Silver Creek at 5ish miles and and Rainbow at about 10. Another fast 5 or 6 back to Poncha Springs on 285 for about a 35-36 mile day of smiles.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
Circle Trail in Prescott (multiple trails linked together in a circle) is easily 65 miles with options to add dozens more miles onto it.

Some of the bigger routes though in CO would be my pick, having done parts of them.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Circle Trail in Prescott (multiple trails linked together in a circle) is easily 65 miles with options to add dozens more miles onto it.

Some of the bigger routes though in CO would be my pick, having done parts of them.
Spent a week in prescott riding trails a couple years ago. Place has some awesome riding! Didn't expect to be so psyched on it. I think groom creek was our favorite. Camping close to costco was kinda cool too.

I've ridden a bunch of sections of the AZT, and while pieces of it are amazing, there's a lot of ridiculous BS mixed in there. It might be a massive singletrack, but you shouldn't treat it that way. I've ridden several sections where i wish i had taken the dirt road alternate, and i was looking for well-regarded sections..

The tahoe rim trail springs to mind, destinations like sedona and moab have multiple networks that are easy to connect, there's tons of mediocre riding in Coe, and i know i could make a 30 mile dirt loop out of midpen nonsense trails. Getting miles is easy, quality is harder.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,139 Posts
NW Arkansas. Most of their mtb trails are accessible by other trails.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
Upper Buffalo Headwaters Trail in Arkansas is a remote trail system with about 40 miles of trails. https://www.arkansas.com/cycling/upper-buffalo-trail
I was going to ride there over Memorial day weekend but I couldn't get my brother to go. He wanted to ride something closer to Bentonville where we were staying. It's still on my bucket list.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
Spent a week in prescott riding trails a couple years ago. Place has some awesome riding! Didn't expect to be so psyched on it. I think groom creek was our favorite. Camping close to costco was kinda cool too.

I've ridden a bunch of sections of the AZT, and while pieces of it are amazing, there's a lot of ridiculous BS mixed in there. It might be a massive singletrack, but you shouldn't treat it that way. I've ridden several sections where i wish i had taken the dirt road alternate, and i was looking for well-regarded sections..

The tahoe rim trail springs to mind, destinations like sedona and moab have multiple networks that are easy to connect, there's tons of mediocre riding in Coe, and i know i could make a 30 mile dirt loop out of midpen nonsense trails. Getting miles is easy, quality is harder.
Groom Creek is way "old school" Prescott. Nothing wrong with it, but trail links and surfaces have been improved significantly.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
A lot of it goes through housing developments, not my idea of wilderness or seclusion, but trails are trails.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, tons of miles between Bentonville and Bella Vista that could be linked up. It's really cool how they've integrated it into their towns, but like Jayem says it changes the character in a way you can't ignore. Lake Leatherwood has a more natural feel. Lots of stuff in AR I wanna explore!

Cascade Crest: 75 miles of Oregon backcountry riding in old growth forest:

https://bendtrails.org/cascade-crest-trails/
Nice. There's so much I wanna hit in central OR I often think about moving there. Lived in Seattle until recently, missing Cascadia!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Are jeep trails and fire roads OK?

If so, check out the Kokopelli Trail (Fruita to Moab). 142 miles and through some pretty amazing scenery. Single track on both ends, including UPS, LPS and Porupine into Moab. Can be done supported or unsupported. Some nice remote terrain. I've it supported with Bikerpelli Kokopelli Trail | Mountain Bike Sports | MTB

Also, look at the San Juan Huts trips. Durango to Moab is 215 miles; 7 days. Sleep in amazingly well stocked huts each night. Some paved road miles, but minimal. Main route is jeep and forest service roads, but alternate singletrack on many of the days. End with a climb out of Geyser pass to Burro Pass and then the Whole Enchilada. Most of the route has no cell coverage and is in some of the most remote territory in the country. There is also their Telluride to Moab route, but I haven't done that one. www.sanjuanhuts.com

There's the BC Bike race. Not a linked system, but 7 days of some of BC's best singletrack.

I have this one in my sights, too: https://www.wildernessscotland.com/adventure-holidays/mountain-biking/coast-to-coast/

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
In Socal we have the Santa Ana River Trail, around 50 miles. You can link it to other trails and/or a bit of fire road around to Big Bear for a much longer route. Santa Monica Backbone is another one. Some sections are in State wilderness or otherwise not open to bikes but you can still put a solid route together.

I recall reading recently about a linked network that crosses the entire state from south to north. I can't remember the name of it though.
Oregon Timber Trail. It's around 670 miles but only 60% singletrack.

We are working on extending that to connect OTT and Baja Divide, all the way up through WA. The initial version will have much less singletrack. https://www.bikepackingroots.org/orogenesis.html

Singletrack on these long distance routes can be very tough. You really want some road sections to break those up. Even the roads can be hard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.