Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
TLDR: want a longer travel 29er, don't care much about pedaling efficiency, just want it to feel good on the downs and not HORRIBLE on the easier trails.

I'm currently riding a 35 pound 160f/135r trail bike. It does well on trails, climbs slow, but is fun on descents. However, my last trip to the bike park really highlighted the 135mm rear end and rattled me pretty good. So I'm going to build up a bigger bike. I know it won't climb well or be the "best" bike for the trails but I want something that'll be ok on the trails and super fun when I go to the parks/mountains.

My options so far are a Kona process X, fezzari la sal peak, process 153, guerrilla gravity gnarvana, or a used Hightower with cascade link.

Any ideas? I've owned a process 153 before and really enjoyed the ride which makes me lean toward the process x so I can run it at 158mm rear or 164mm in the long setting. The biggest argument I've seen against the process x is the wheelbase length, however, my current trail bike both has longer chainstay length and longer wheelbase length so I'm not worried about that.

Administrator edit: added photo for front page

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I've never had experiences with those bikes however, I ride a 2018 Canyon Torque 5.0 which is a long travel enduro bike. I love it but they don't make it in a 29er. Canyon does make the Strive which is a 170 mm fork with 150 mm shock that looks great though I've never tried one out. I can say that from my experience, Canyon has great customer service and makes awesome bikes. I'd say the process X would be a safe bet because you've ridden similar bikes. A lot of people in my area, Southeastern US ride Santa Cruz and everyone I've talked to has said good things and with that being a used bike you have room to upgrade. The Guerrilla Gravity seems pretty cool and looks to be a pretty decent bike as well.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Eh, the smash is too similar to what I currently have. Side note, how do you like your canfields? I'm also considering a lithium
I have a Balance that took no time to dial in. I absolutely love this bike. I'm 9 rides into it and it feels like we bonded. I've taken it down DH, tech trails, flow, and pump tracks. Their suspension is the real deal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Balance that took no time to dial in. I absolutely love this bike. I'm 9 rides into it and it feels like we bonded. I've taken it down DH, tech trails, flow, and pump tracks. Their suspension is the real deal.
Have you ridden any DW link bikes? I've heard their platform is similar to DW link. My only issue is that, to me, DW link isn't very plush on the downhills. Pedals great and feels decent on the flats but going down it was a bit too race-y feeling for my liking. Is the Canfield plush or a little more form feeling?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,501 Posts
I have a lithium coming (soon, I hope) that I'll be building mine as 151/160 (very similar to the process 153, which I agree is a good platform). I'm betting that this will result in a pretty usable bike.. and I can always swap the air spring in the forkt and pull the space in the shock and be to 163/170.

Until I get it and build it though, this is all just conjecture.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you considered just upgrading to a better shock? It would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new bike.
Actually it will cost me the same to get a new shock as it would to buy a new frame with a shock and sell my old frame.
I'm also already running an Ohlins coil in the rear. You can only do so much with 135mm trail bike and black tech trails at snowshoe are not within the intended purpose of a 135mm bike.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have been on a GG Megatrail since ‘18 and went 29 on front. Thats a great setup. I just got a Banshee Spitfire and it’s incredible so i would recommend looking at their Titan. They claim it punches above its 155mm travel and based on how their 135mm bike feels I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case.

·
Registered
228 Posts
1. YT Capra (I have one, it’s exactly what you describe you are looking for).
2. Evil Wreckoning
3. Specialized Enduro

i would suggest the Evil and the Specialized may be better, but I have zero complaints about my Capra.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been on a GG Megatrail since '18 and went 29 on front. Thats a great setup. I just got a Banshee Spitfire and it's incredible so i would recommend looking at their Titan. They claim it punches above its 155mm travel and based on how their 135mm bike feels I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.
Well I'm currently on the prime. Good bike, just not big enough. I can't ever stick to one company, I like trying new things so as good as the titan probably is, I want to try something new.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get a lithium or wreckoning if you like 29. I think the lithium though. Maybe a slayer or enduro is you want more stable geo and less efficiency.
Yeah I like the look of the lithium, just not the weight. I've also read that their suspension platform is very similar to dw link and I don't really love dw link. I had a ripmo and my banshee prime is based off dw as well. They climb great but feel too race-y in the rear end on descents for me.

I like the slayer and enduro, just both of them are a little expensive and I don't trust any specialized used after personal experiences with their carbon. May try to find a used slayer though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1. YT Capra (I have one, it's exactly what you describe you are looking for).
2. Evil Wreckoning
3. Specialized Enduro

i would suggest the Evil and the Specialized may be better, but I have zero complaints about my Capra.
Wreckoning is too costly for me given their spotty track record in both durability and customer service.
Enduro would be great but I need to find one new and can't find any for a decent deal currently.
Capra would be cool, tried to get their new Capra with the eewings cranks and CC coil but it sold out as I was ordering.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.