Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am running the 2.25" stroke shock, which despite internet rumors it fit fine. Attached are photos of the 2.0" stroke dpx2 Vs the 2.25" stroke monarch (vorsprung tractive) at full bottom out. yes this will void your warranty

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle Bicycle accessory Spoke Rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Mode of transport Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

I weigh 190 and am former Dh racer so I ride fairly hard. I loved the dpx2 but I had to use the enormous 1.06 spacer to get the progressive travel how I like it and avoid harsh bottom outs when sending it goes wrong.

The longer stroke shock seems to work well. I don't need the extreme volume spacer. I'm not running it for the increased travel, rather for the improved bottom out resistance. Also I'm running 35mm rims with 27.5x2.4 DHR2 (the greatest tire of all time) and ,NOT 2.6 as originally specced. So far I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
try it out if you dgaf about frame warranty. 2.25" shocks are pretty easy to come by. and looking at the leverage curve, it appears to remain linear for the additional travel... seems legit if you have the tire clearance. i will put more time on the setup in the next few weeks

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
As a general statement from PIVOT, changing shock length, or stroke is never a good idea.

Doing so could void your warranty, we do not recommend making any changes to your shock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea the travel and geo changes???
There is zero geometry change, both shocks are 7.875" long. Travel is probably ~155-157ish. I imagineered the leverage ratio (attached) currently im using around 145-150. No complaints so far

Assuming you confirmed tire clearance @ full bottom out, set no more than ~20% sag. this is the same linear distance as the OEM 2.0 shock Blue Colorfulness Green Slope Text

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
setting sag at 20% would stiff no? thats the tradeoff perhaps in running more stroke, less sag, just asking to wrap my head around it.
cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
setting sag at 20% would stiff no? thats the tradeoff perhaps in running more stroke, less sag, just asking to wrap my head around it.
cheers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that setting the sag to 30% with the longer stroke shock would make the bike sit much lower, hence the recommendation to set it to ~20% instead. I'm toying with the idea of trying a longer stroke shock, wondering if the increased travel would let me handle very steep/chunky terrain with more stability. I'm surprised that the longer stroke results in so much more travel, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.