Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question remains as to weather my wfie pictured here so warmly dressed for the photo should consider a longer stem. Not that we'd actually have a different opinion, but.... We're replacing bars and thought it might be nice to update stems as well. Her ride as shown is a 06 Stumpy Ladies Expert with an OEM stubby little 60mm long stem. Her seat is about middle of the rails and height is typical for climbing. What do you guy's think? Who wins the bet?
Thanks,
Gaasper

Attachments

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
hard to say
does she like the way it feels now? going uphills? going downhills?
a longer stem will make the bike steer slower, prob. climb better, and go down hill worse
but it all depends. she looks a little forward now so a longer stem would make that even more. does she like climbing and fairly level riding or more twisty, rocky log hopping riding? I prefer a short stem and a riser bar for more technical riding, it makes it easier to loft the front end to get over things, also a more upright riding position makes you less likley to go over the handlebars

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I really dislike the way ultra-short stems steer - too twitchy and the front wheel wanders on climbs. Then again, your wife already seems pretty stretched out, so going longer might pose a problem (is the frame slightly too big for her? her saddle seems high).

I'd try a cheap 90mm stem to improve the steering, maybe with lots of rise and/or a hi-rise bar to try and make the cockpit a little more compact and keep her upright.

Then again, this is all my preference, and she might like the way it steers now. I couldn't see how though. Again, 60mm is really short for xc.

Good luck,
Antonio

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,
This is the wife here -

I am a fairly new rider and am comfortable with my current positioning on my bike but the question came up as we are investigating replacing handlebars and stems - I wanted to know if a longer stem would be appropriate for my style of riding.

Would a slightly longer stem hinder my climbing by reducing my leverage over the front tire? When going downhill on my current set-up (I do drop my seat if needed on the DH's), I feel I have good control and balance when negotiating ruts, rocks, stuff with so I'm uncertain whether 20-30mm will make me more comfortable or make me feel like I'm in the "backseat."

Thanks again for any input -

Wife of Gasper

·
Registered
341 Posts
from a long stem fan

I say, "Try it, you might like it." You actually might LOVE the longer stem especially for that type of riding.

Personally a short stem is OK for me when messing around with my kids at the local schoolyard. But for hours and miles of riding, 100mm plus is what I prefer. :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A longer stem won't hinder your climbing, unless it makes you too stretched out. If anything, a longer stem will help your climbing as it will put a bit more weight over your front wheel which will help keep it planted on steep climbs. It will also make steering a bit more stable.

I'm an XC rider who owns a frame that's too big for me. In order to shorted the cockpit, I've gone down to a 75mm stem. My reach is now perfect, but the shorter stem makes steering too twitchy/quick, and my front wheel now tends to pull up on steep climbs. I just purchased a smaller frame so I can run a longer (100-110mm) stem.

Judging from your photo, you look pretty well fit to your bike. A longer stem might make you too streched out, but you won't know until you try. Try to find a cheap 90mm and see how that feels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.