Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Did any one thought about a longer rear shock on the 6.6

My DHX-A is 20 cm' (7.875") I checked and found that I can put up to 23 cm' (+/- 9")
So if I will put 8.75" shock with 2.75 stroke I will be able to get a lot of sag without changing the geometry

What do you think about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Even if it were possible to run a larger shock, the one you mentioned is almost a full inch longer and the measurement you have is only 3mm. A 8.5 x 2.5 would probably be closer but in my opinion, still to long. I think the biggest problem to over come is the tire hitting the frame before bottoming the shock, which might be blowing through the travel, hitting the seattube before the shocks highspeed valving has a chance to slow the cycling of the piston down. I may be way off on this, it may work fine, just dont know how close the rear tire is to the frame during a hard hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drumstix said:
Even if it were possible to run a larger shock, the one you mentioned is almost a full inch longer and the measurement you have is only 3mm. A 8.5 x 2.5 would probably be closer but in my opinion, still to long. I think the biggest problem to over come is the tire hitting the frame before bottoming the shock, which might be blowing through the travel, hitting the seattube before the shocks highspeed valving has a chance to slow the cycling of the piston down. I may be way off on this, it may work fine, just dont know how close the rear tire is to the frame during a hard hit.
Hi
There is no problem of tire hitting the frame - I chacked it !
There is no problem for the 8.75 or the 8.5

Open the front bolt on your shock and chack it by yourself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
esku said:
Hi
There is no problem of tire hitting the frame - I chacked it !
There is no problem for the 8.75 or the 8.5

Open the front bolt on your shock and chack it by yourself
Now your just being plain mean to me, you guy's know that I havent yet received my frame!

Though I should have it in a week or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Not to be plain MEAN!!!!

drumstix said:
Now your just being plane mean to me, you guy's know that I havent yet received my frame!

Though I should have it in a week or so.
But here it is, drool all you want, stix, not to mention the picture I took of it taking a 31.6 post all the way down.

She's purrrrrdy!!!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
esquire said:
But here it is, drool all you want, stix, not to mention the picture I took of it taking a 31.6 post all the way down.

She's purrrrrdy!!!!
Interesting...

I just noticed that your 6.6 doesn't have the reinforcement bar going from the seat tube to the top tube. Is it because this is a small size ? Just curious...

Ken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
konaken said:
Interesting...

I just noticed that your 6.6 doesn't have the reinforcement bar going from the seat tube to the top tube. Is it because this is a small size ? Just curious...

Ken.
That is correct! This is a small, the VPX is the same too.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Esquire - you better box that frame up with my 66 so I can do a complete QC check on it. We wouldn't want Drumstix to hurt himself on it now would we!! :D

Nice color choice DS - looking forward to seeing the complete build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
SSINGA said:
Esquire - you better box that frame up with my 66 so I can do a complete QC check on it. We wouldn't want Drumstix to hurt himself on it now would we!! :D

Nice color choice DS - looking forward to seeing the complete build.
I'll be looking for some Georgia mud now under the chainstays you oranged framed dukes of hazard wantabe! :D

I will post some pic's and maybe drop one off on the Turner boards too, Im trying to get some new blingy parts for it. Its hard to improve on the Pack, so the 6.6 better pull some arse saving rides on the steep stuff, talk about major competition. Now, what to do with a Homers jersey?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Consider this

The longer shock will give you roughly 8.25" of travel, but there's several problems with what you suggest:

With the standard shock, you have a 57mm stroke, and optimum sag is 17-19mm measured at the shock. With a shock that's 22mm longer (222mm vs 200mm), you'll have to run a whopping 39-41mm sag at the shock to maintain VPP efficiency. Considering that 2.75" stroke is 70mm, that means you'll be running 60% sag!

Also, once the shock has extended beyond the stock shock's lenght, you'll get a serious change in the suspension geometry, causing the bike to stinkbug terribly whenever the rear end is unweighed.

In short, if you want more travel, get a VPX.

Ole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Daaaaaaammmmm

esku said:
Sorry I didnt know that you dont have the 6.6

Any ay if some one tried it it ill be nice to kno how it works

there is a pic of the rear shock on my bike
I love that yellow. Is that one of the medium yellows they had at the factory a while back? I almost bought that just to have around here as an extra medium 6.6 (kind of complete the rainbow on the wall, so to speak...). I like that a lot.

The longer shock idea is interesting, and might be ok for some weekend lift park rides, but I'd be seriously concerned about it affecting the VPP efficiency. Get back to us on that though as believe it or not, people posting on message boards have been wrong once or twice, I think.... :D

Again, Yellow, damned nice. Classy and unique, considering they don't even offer yellow for 06 supposedly.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
drumstix said:
I'll be looking for some Georgia mud now under the chainstays you oranged framed dukes of hazard wantabe! :D

I will post some pic's and maybe drop one off on the Turner boards too, Im trying to get some new blingy parts for it. Its hard to improve on the Pack, so the 6.6 better pull some arse saving rides on the steep stuff, talk about major competition. Now, what to do with a Homers jersey?
Since we all know Orange bikes are much faster than blue bikes, I'll take it easy on your frame:p

I'm sure a Homer jersey would go quickly on the boards!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
It sounds like a really bad idea to me. It would negatively affect the geometry, the VPP action, and the cables would be a mess-to have the cables set correctly with the rear suspension unloaded, there would be so much extra when the rear fully compresses. Like the earlier poster said-If you want more travel get an Uzzi or something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
drumstix said:
I'll be looking for some Georgia mud now under the chainstays you oranged framed dukes of hazard wantabe! :D

I will post some pic's and maybe drop one off on the Turner boards too, Im trying to get some new blingy parts for it. Its hard to improve on the Pack, so the 6.6 better pull some arse saving rides on the steep stuff, talk about major competition. Now, what to do with a Homers jersey?
Congrats D. Finally, I think your wait will have been worth it! Things have a way for working out for the best. The color is killer. I can't wait to see it built and get your ride report. By the way the Nomad is cancelled. 6 pack... 6.6... hmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
MacDaddy said:
Congrats D. Finally, I think your wait will have been worth it! Things have a way for working out for the best. The color is killer. I can't wait to see it built and get your ride report. By the way the Nomad is cancelled. 6 pack... 6.6... hmmm
Thanks MacDaddy, Im sure looking forward to it. Your now in the same boat I was in, kinda still am really, "whats the better bike for me?". Its a tuff call as I havent ridden the 6.6 yet and loved the 6 Pack. I do know that the VVP suspension feels great and bottomless, I dont think anything can come close to it when it comes time to put major power to the pedals. Where I ride theres a few areas that have some real short but steep climbs, no time to build any speed so its all in the legs. the first time I tried it on the heavier VPX I cleaned it, I did have to stand and dig into it but the bike did fine with no wallowing in the nearly 8" of travel. The Marzocchi fork dove live a world class diver. My other bikes could not perform like this including the Pack, they all had some suspension cycling going on. Downhill the VPX just shined, infact it kinda scared me because I havent taken that trail at those speeds before! All in all Im looking for a mini VPX, I may be putting to much pressure on the 6.6 but from the ride reviews of aappling72 I dont think I will be let down. I also figured at the time with the absence of the Horst link on the Turners the 6.6 was looking better all the time. I wasnt going to be able to get any of the last frames, the HL Pack smalls were all gone. The first available small frames since August has been the 6.6 so when esquire emailed me I jumped at it and that brings me to this day. Now the fun stuff begins, building and riding. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
It looks like you guys figured this out but thought I would jump in to put the brakes on.I will keep this simple.
The longer shock will not work for many reasons, mainly it puts the starting position of the VPP linkage way out of wack. The rear end would hyper extend in this configuration & the wheel path will be all jacked up for starters. True VPP designs are very sensitive to linkage position so there is no room for changing shock lenghts on any of our designs with out some negative affect. We have spent a lot of time on the computer and feild testing to dial in the sweet spot. Between Intense and Santa Cruz we have a very extensive data base based on all our designs to pull from.
The 6.6 tops out at 6.75 " travel & I might add that it is a whole different animal with the coil shock, just something to think about.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top