Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am trying to decide on a FS frame, and was looking at the Blur XC. As a smaller (5'6", 130lbs) rider mainly into non-competitive technical XC riding (but not drops or jumps or FR type stuff), I'm not sure I need the extra weight and travel associated with the BLT. Also, the standover is way high for me as compared to the XC (~ 29.5" inseam). However, I like the slacker angles of the BLT. I was thinking of sticking my older Reba fork on there set for 115mm travel (currently at 105mm on my RM Hammer). This should give ~69-70 deg HA and also raise the low BB a bit.

Bottom line - is this a good/bad/brilliant/stupid idea? Warranty issues? Waddya think?

Thanks
ES

·
Registered
19 Posts
Santa Cruz will void your warranty with a fork > 105mm:

"No, we do not recommend forks with over 105mm total travel for the Blur XC, and fork use over 105mm will void the Manufacturers Defect part of the warranty.

This is strictly a tubing strength issue. The Blur frameset was designed to handle (with no problems) forks up to 105mm in length - approx 475mm axle to crown. Running a longer fork will place more stress on the tubing than the frame was originally designed to handle.

While we can't stop you from doing it with an aftermarket fork, we can tell you that the Blur was not designed for it and none of our stock spec Blur frames ship with a fork over 105mm travel."

·
Registered
486 Posts
superlight with a 130mm

I have an 02 SL frame that I was originally running with an 80mm fork(very boring). Last year I swapped it for a Talas RLC 90 to 130. I crank it up to 130 on the downhills works fine ! no problems, it's like riding a whole new bike!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey lambchop43,

where did you find that little statement about the warranty on the max travel. I've been trying to find one for the heckler, where it says the most travel you can have for a fork on the heckler.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.