536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wed- road ride
Thurs- gorging :)
Fri- BCT
Sat- SoMo
Sun- DD

Thanks to all that made the rides possible and better..:thumbsup:

Today was a good capper, ending(kind of) tweaking my hanger and derailer into my wheel. I man-handled it back enough to finish out our ride though. Jeff, on the other hand is a brute. Somebody make this guy a product tester, 'cause nobody seems to make anything strong enough for him. He stripped out his DT Swiss (enduro) hub luckily on the last climb back. Oh well, Walt may have some photos before it turned ugly

·
rockcrusher
90 Posts
Long weekends rule..
Longer weekends rule even more!

Thu - Feast/Drink
Fri - SoMo
Sat - Hiking with the Family
Sun - SoMo
Mon - Sycamore Creek for a little moto :D
Tue - Not sure yet.. maybe a few loops at McDowell Mtn.
Wed - off day

·
I am Walt
6,391 Posts
Lazy Sunday on and around T100

dirtrodr said:
Oh well, Walt may have some photos before it turned ugly
Yep...got a few. Jim (cycljunkie) and I ran into dgangi (Doug) and the Wrecking Crew (Jeff, Su Ling, Chris) at the 40th St. parking lot, so we hooked up and leisurely tooled around. Hit up Porc Ridge, the whoop-de-doos, "Black Diamond" backside of 220, under the 51, T100 west, down the "big hill", at which point, Doug headed on to Shaw Butte and the rest of us looped around and back towards DD, taking the "left-hand" variation to get back to the 51. Jim and I then headed back to 40th St. via the "Switchbacks" and Zipper.

Some pics...
1 - Jeff and Doug
2 - Jim and Chris, making his first rear der fix
3 & 4 - Doug on the Black Diamond
5 - Monkeybutt on the BD

Attachments

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Hey Walt -

Thanks for posting up the pics. It was fun riding with you and Jim today...and of course the Wrecking crew too. It's odd how things turn out -- we were sitting in the 40th St parking lot talking about something that brought up your name...and lo and behold there you were unloading your bike. The gods must be crazy.

Anyway, too bad you guys didn't head over to Shaw Butte with me. The hiker population was pretty spartan, so I was able to bomb back down after all that climbing whereas I usually have to slow wayyyyyyy down most of the way. Things went well until I pinch flatted about 1/2 mile from my house.

I hope you at least liked my choice of trails until we all parted. We'll have to do that again soon.

Thx...Doug

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Nice pics! I spent the day at my sister's house helping her paint a bedroom in the new house. Still recovering from FOTP, but ready to pull out a bike again for tomorrow's commute to work. ugh. work. I think we should have 4-day weekends every week!

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Thanks for posting up the pics, Walt! Good to ride with all of you today. We all had a really good time. dgangi, dirtrodr, jeff and I were going to do a 70mi roadie ride but it was ultra-chilly out this morning. I'm glad we decided to go play on the mtn bikes!

Jeff and Doug were insane off the start. Speeds that aren't normal for human beings. I swear, I need an infusion of whatever they are having. :rolleyes: Which in turn caused me fuss and whine for quite a sizeable distance. But it's their fault, they made me! ;) Trying to keep up with all you guys made me want to puke a couple of times.

The trails were awesome. Fun and quite fast. Most that we passed along the way were quite friendly. There were exceptions that wore scowls and stayed silent, but for the most part, all was good. Jim nailed that steep hill on the east side on the way back before dropping back down into the jungle queen tunnel. That was the climb where Jeff hosed his rear hub. Thank god it was downhill the rest of the way for the most part.

Thanks all for the spectacular ride and for waiting for me! :D

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Cool shots, I love that BD section. My weekend was pretty decent also:
Wed. evening - Guitar Center
Thurs.-SoMo
Fri-BCT
Sat-Flag Shuttles
Sun- Recuperate, play guitar.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Only got 2 rides in, and pretty much everyday just screwin around on the street

Sat- National almost to the towers and back, i saw CactusJoe and his group, just didnt realize it until i saw the black 575, then i forgot names, no pictures as i almost crushed it in a flip OTB
Today- DC a while past the tanks, one of our riders snapped his chain, fixed it, then he got lost, ended up on the road, then rode back up to the lot

Still havent gotten my frame back, they were supposed to call Sat. morning, they had to install the XTR front Der. and bushings for the RP23, and didnt call until 6PM, they close at 7, we're about an hour away

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
My long weekend was a little different!

But good nonetheless...

Wed - entertain Mom whilst starting the baking of many tasty desserts.
Thu - Finish baking, stuff Wrecking Crew and other MTBR'rs full of said desserts.
Fri - bike to park with 2 kids in trailer (60+ lbs + SS cruiser = work)
Sat - More family time.
Sunday - sent E out to ride.
Mon. - WORK!

Sounds like fun was had all around this weekend!

SN

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
dirtrodr said:
Wed- road ride
Thurs- gorging :)
Fri- BCT
Sat- SoMo
Sun- DD

Thanks to all that made the rides possible and better..:thumbsup:

Today was a good capper, ending(kind of) tweaking my hanger and derailer into my wheel. I man-handled it back enough to finish out our ride though. Jeff, on the other hand is a brute. Somebody make this guy a product tester, 'cause nobody seems to make anything strong enough for him. He stripped out his DT Swiss (enduro) hub luckily on the last climb back. Oh well, Walt may have some photos before it turned ugly
My wife had the great idea of skipping thanksgiving and going camping. (Actually, we had our thanksgiving dinner last weekend.)

Thursday - Drive to Sedona. Set up camp at Rancho Sedona. Eat. Hike Marg's draw. Eat some more.

Friday - Ride Huckabee. Meet nice German hiker lady and get lots of good trail advice. Eat. Buy more propane. It's cold out there. Hike to Sub Rock with family. Eat some more. Read Edward Abbey.

Saturday - Awake before dawn. It's cold and windy. Ride Schnebly to cow pies. See no one. Return on Mund's wagon road. Come back to family late and face the music. (My GPS was still set to California time from a business trip last week.). Eat. Hike Templeton to Budha Beach with family. Eat some more. Read some more.

Sunday - Eat. Ride from camp to Schnebly trailhead with daughter. Give her tips on mountain biking on short lower section of Mund's. Eat some more. Put away camper and drive back to Phoenix. Drink some beer. Ride Desert Classic and East Loops. Break chain on road headed home. Fix chain. Eat some more. Soak in hot tub.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
riding???

Wed: Make pumpkin empanadas at Nanny's house and spend the night in Fountain Hills.
Thurs: Do the FH Turkey Trot 5K run, grill turkey & eat!
Fri: Watch A&M beat the Longhorns in football, then watch A&M basketball beat Ohio St. and win the NIT tourney! Call buddy about riding...
Sat: walk to bagel shop, take kids to the park, eat leftovers. Rinse, repeat.
Sun: Put up Xmas tree, do chores & talk about riding and/or going to gym. Take a nap.

(My bikes are not happy)

·
I'm "bad" different
138 Posts
Would have loved to join in on some of the rides this "weekend" (especially BCT), but I just had to use the time off to finally see Bryce and Zion canyons.

Thrs - Drive to Bryce, park truck at Ponderosa point (8900'), pull the commuter bike out of the back and roll 14 miles back to the CG at 7800' - it was in the 20's and the camelback froze solid. Took advantage of zero rangers and few people on T-day and rode around on a few "no bike" trails:D

Fri - get backcountry permit, sling the pack on and hike into Bryce for an overnight stay - 5 degree overnight temps (Elete kept my water from freezing solid!):thumbsup:

Sat - hike out to truck, fix flat truck tire (good to have onboard air), pick up bike at CG, take a sink "shower" in the visitor center (scare tourists) and book it over to Zion for a quickie hike to the Emerald pools. Watch climbers scale a cliff in moonlight before hitting the CG.

Sun - Hike to the top of angel's landing to watch the sunrise, hit a couple other shorty hikes and back in the truck to head home. Grocery shop and blow time on MTBR!

I'm all for the 4-day weekend. I get way more done than when I'm at work anyways!

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
Haha, I saw you guys out there today!! Went FLYING by as I was resting somewhre.

I got to ride twice Sat (morn and night) and then this moring too. Nice weekend indeeeeed!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Enduroblood said:
Haha, I saw you guys out there today!! Went FLYING by as I was resting somewhre.

I got to ride twice Sat (morn and night) and then this moring too. Nice weekend indeeeeed!!
saw who? i know it wasnt me as i was off (to much food) this weekend and wasnt flying at all

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
su.ling~ said:
Jim nailed that steep hill on the east side on the way back before dropping back down into the jungle queen tunnel. That was the climb where Jeff hosed his rear hub.
If it is the hill I am thinking about, Jim deserves huge kudos. Very tough to clear. Nice job Mr. Leto...I mean cycljunkie!!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts