Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'4" w/ a long torso. All of my last 1/2 dozen or so frames were XL's w/ top tube lengths that measured (actual) about 23.75". Seat angles were similar ranging from 71*-73*. Climbing or pedalling the flats I prefer an upright position from a straight Thomson post and my seat slid almost all the way forward. Run an 80mm stem. As of late, when descending I feel like I am on a tri-cycle . Came across a couple of newer trail / AM frames that sport 25" (actual) top tubes. Will I feel better on descents ? Worse for pedalling flats / uphill ? Thanx

·
Shaman
636 Posts
keen said:
I am 6'4" w/ a long torso. All of my last 1/2 dozen or so frames were XL's w/ top tube lengths that measured (actual) about 23.75". Seat angles were similar ranging from 71*-73*. Climbing or pedalling the flats I prefer an upright position from a straight Thomson post and my seat slid almost all the way forward. Run an 80mm stem. As of late, when descending I feel like I am on a tri-cycle . Came across a couple of newer trail / AM frames that sport 25" (actual) top tubes. Will I feel better on descents ? Worse for pedalling flats / uphill ? Thanx
I am 6'3' and the perfect top tube length for me is 24.5". My Enduro XL has a 25.2" (I think) and it feels a little cumbersome while my Stumpy is 24.5-24.75 and feels just right (both with a 65mm stem). I found the 25.2 top tube good for climbing but too stretched out for descending. Being an inch taller than me w/ a long torso it could feel perfect for you, especially if you shorten the stem a hair. The biggest problem with the long top tube is switch backs, the wheel base starts getting really long. For me the trade off is worth it though.

·
Underskilled
4,640 Posts
losing speed on a switchback is more than worth the spedd gained EVERYWHERE else.
I also find myself more balanced on switchbacks, so kind of even on that point.
6'7 with a 25.25" TT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts