Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 5 inch travel trailbike has been discussed a lot on these forums. I'm actually looking for a longer travel trail bike (about 6 inches) that can be built up reasonably (32-33lbs). I want to be able to climb, do some 2-3 foot drops, and descend well. The reason I'm looking for longer travel is that my xc bike (Intense Spider) has close to 4 inches and my DH bike has close to 8 inches - so I wanted to fill in the gap with an in between all purpose trail bike. I was considering the Foes FXR, Ellsworth Moment, Titus Supermoto FR, Foes Inferno. I also looked at the Yeti ASX, but that may be too much bike for my needs. I guess to hit my target weight, I need a frame that's 8-9.5 lbs with a coil shock. I was planning on running a Nixon or similar 5.5-6 inch SC fork, disc brakes, and reasonable components. Any suggestions or rider experience? Thanks.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Giant AC

yangpei said:
I know the 5 inch travel trailbike has been discussed a lot on these forums. I'm actually looking for a longer travel trail bike (about 6 inches) that can be built up reasonably (32-33lbs). I want to be able to climb, do some 2-3 foot drops, and descend well. The reason I'm looking for longer travel is that my xc bike (Intense Spider) has close to 4 inches and my DH bike has close to 8 inches - so I wanted to fill in the gap with an in between all purpose trail bike. I was considering the Foes FXR, Ellsworth Moment, Titus Supermoto FR, Foes Inferno. I also looked at the Yeti ASX, but that may be too much bike for my needs. I guess to hit my target weight, I need a frame that's 8-9.5 lbs with a coil shock. I was planning on running a Nixon or similar 5.5-6 inch SC fork, disc brakes, and reasonable components. Any suggestions or rider experience? Thanks.
I just bought a medium Giant AC1, stripped it and weight the frame. It comes in at 9 lbs with a swinger coil. has 5-6 inch travel. Pretty decent warrantee service too.

REEK

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does your AC climb?

Reek said:
I just bought a medium Giant AC1, stripped it and weight the frame. It comes in at 9 lbs with a swinger coil. has 5-6 inch travel. Pretty decent warrantee service too.

REEK
I didn't realize the AC1 was only 9 lbs. The new ones look really nice. How does your bike climb with the Swinger coil?

·
Banned
913 Posts
fxr

I run the Foes FXR with a Maverick dual crown. It is about 5.75" front and rear, weighing about 28-29 pounds with 2.2" tires. It's a very capable bike and compliments my 8" travel DH bike, as well as SS hardtail.

It doesn't handle like a dh bike, but it's way more forgiving than a GT iDrive (don't know about the Intense).

good luck with your decisions.....

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Giant AC1 climbs well enough

yangpei said:
I didn't realize the AC1 was only 9 lbs. The new ones look really nice. How does your bike climb with the Swinger coil?
Yeah not too bad for a 6.3 inch travel bike. The bike itself climbs pretty well. MUCH better when I changed the wheelset out. I intended to actually do some climbing with the bike so I swapped out the heavy tubeless wheels for a lighter set of DT hubs wheelset. It's not anything like my old NRS obviously but it manages much better than say my old Giant XCT DS1 (pre NRS) 3.75 inch travel bike. I'm planning to get the 7 inch travel linkage by SGF for this frame.

I think the leverage over powers the SPV at certain times but its a trade off that's worth it.

Overall, Not dissapointed but very satisfied with my choice. My other bikes at this point are an old Infusion MXC pro hardtail, Schwinn Rockett 88, and a Dakar XLT 1.0 (5 inch travel)

REEK

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Moment info

yangpei said:
You need a Moment. It meets your travel requirements of 6" and is available with the Fox DHX. It is at the lower end of your weight range. My small with the Fox Vanilla PP was 8 lbs a Large with the DHX was 8.1lbs. It climbs well and decends extremely well. It's on-trail manners are perfect and it offers an extremely balanced ride. The rear end is very stiff and responds well to pedal input. My build is approx 32lbs with a reasonable weight/durability/strength build to accommidate my 215lb body. It could most likely be slimed down to 30lbs. The frame looks to be durable with gussets, supports and very nice welds, but it is too early to tell.

My friend rides the FXR and it is a very well built bike also, especially with the Carnutt. It is, however, still a single pivot design with an interupted seat tube that limits adjustability (I like to drop the seat for more "spirited DH runs"). The Inferno and AS-X are really more in the "freeride" or extreme long travel trail bike range. They seem to be bikes for downhilling when you have to pedal to the top. Both frames, I beleive, are in the 9.5lb range with shocks. Their ride might not be as good when the long 7.5" rear travel is mated with a 5.5-6" front fork. The Supermoto looks nice, but it too is an interruped seat tube design, and it comes in many configurations. You might also look at the Ventana La Bruja or X5 with the 6" rockers and shock.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
I have a brand new 04" AC 2 available, cheap.

PM me, anyone. I have an AC-1 down to 26.8 lbs, (air/air), FWIW.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How about the 2005 Enduro??

Just saw this in the Specialized forum. Pics of the new 2005 Specialized Enduros. Not sure about release dates, however:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40477

Looks like 6" front and rear with the new Fox Forx up front.

Good luck,

MTBmoose

yangpei said:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
yangpei said:
If you're willing to wait, rumor has it that Turner is coming out with a 6" bike (6 Pack), Specialized is coming out with a 6" Enduro (may have the new Fox DHX shock). I'd add those 2 bikes to your list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.