Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering.........is anyone riding a long travel (5 inch or more) 650b hardtail?

A Surly Instigator with a 5" Manitou Minute fork was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned (and I've had my fair share) and I was wondering if anyone else has converted something over or had something purpose built for 5 or 6" of travel up front.

If so, what is it? If you are having it built - what will it look like (geometry -wise)?

I think Cracked Headtube's Quisby 650b uses a Fox 120 up front - but anyone using a Fox 36 or maybe a Nixon with 145mm of travel up front? If so, what head tube angle did you opt for? If I recall - CH's Quisby has a 71 degree HT angle. Anyone doing anything with a 69 or 68.5 degree angle?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
451 Posts
Soon!!

I am waiting on a Sinister Ridge to come in the mail, it will be sporting a fox van 36 up front witha velocity blunt. I havent quite decided to do a 650 rear wheel or not, i have been givin info it will fit in the frame but i might try it with 26" rear to start with. I believe the headangle i around 68 or 68.5 with a 6" travel fork.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
I am contemplating having a custom built steel 650b made up (Curtlo, Waltworks, ?). I would likely use a Pike up front, but I do have a 36 Talas I could use.

Geometry...I like slack angles. My current trailbike (modified Titus Supermoto) has a 66 degree HA. Me likey. I think I'd go for ~68 degree HA on a hardtail with a 518mm a2c and 650b wheel.

I also dig short CS and low(er) BB heights....maybe a 12.25-12.5" BB height.

Would love to have a thru axle rear...not sure if anyone can do those?

edit: 1 issue holding me back is tire selection. IMO, it would nice to have a tire larger than the 2.3 available to help "soften" the ride of a long-travel hardtail.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thru axel rear

I think it would be sweet to get a rear set up for a RS Maxle, i think i saw someone do that maybe Lenz??? I think 2.3 will be fine with the larger wheel size, i stand up over anything rough anyways, let the fork take the brunt of it.
My Sinister will be here Monday!!!!!!

Bog

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SuspectDevice said:
There are a few Horror Taxi's out there with 5" forks on them... My personal one has a (long)rigid fork.
Velvets set at 130mm Mickey?

Any pics???

Oh and Happy New Year! May 2009 bring more great things for you and Spooky Bikes.

Mark

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Cracked Headtube said:
Neo-Moto (?) it's 2.3" as you wish... and it was the first offroad 650b tire available...
Oops, I corrected my statement above...it should read "larger than the 2.3 available".

And bogmonster could be right...2.3 may be enough...but it may not be. I'm getting older and I like a little cushin' for the pushin'. The tire size is not a deal breaker for me...it just gives me some pause.

BTW, SuspectDevice, I like the looks of that Horror Taxi. I checked out the blog but didn't see any geometry figures for it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Yeah, info was terribly hard to find for me too. :madman:
You know, I think I clipped out the geometry chart for that in a furtive editing spurt the other day. When I get back to the office I'll try to fix that...

We normally build a medium and a medium/large. The medium is 17"/23"/12"/17"/72/70
The larger is 18.5/23.6/17/72/70. That's based on a 4" fork and quasimotos...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Over the last month or so I've been rethinking my main trail rig and going with the same as the topic - a long travel 650B HT.

I'm currently running a Sinister GRUITR which I absolutely love but after a few recent rides on my oldie Rhygin w/ one gear, I've been wanting that simple HT singlespeed ride again. The few trails in my imediate area are pretty smooth and I figured the 650B would be nice when I hit up rockier places.

As mentioned in this thread, the Ridge and Spooky Horror Taxi are at my list top as I really want a US made frame (something from the northeast would be even more treats). I had a Ridge before and loved it. Here is a pic from a session @ the Stowe Bike Park: https://defconfour.com/other/islandlake/stowe_park_don_tabletop_lo_.jpg I had a longer stem, clips and jacked the seat up and rode the Town XC Loop the day before.

Here is my wish list:

- Able to use the Fox Talas 36. I have it on my GRUITR and love it plus it has the 3 settings for travel. But most of all - I don't feel like spending $1K on a new fork.
- SS. Would love to set this new rig up with one gear and not use a Rennen or other chain tensioner. EBB or sliders would be fine. I did notice that the Sinister site recently had pics of a sliding dropout setup.
- Able to get thru a run like this: https://defconfour.com/movies/allaire_don_01.mov which can be found at one of the XC trails in my area. Which 650B hoop is the strongest? I've been totally fine w/ Sun Rhinolites and Singletracks in years past.
- Able to comfortably ride some miles XC style on the local singletrack.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don, I think a Ridge would be better for you than a Horror Taxi if you are going to use it for even a moderate amount of jumping. Ask Frank nicely, and I'm sure he'd build you one around 710mm diameter wheels with his new sliding drops.

The Horror taxi is super strong, for an XC race bike. The Ridge on the other hand, is just plain old SUPER strong.
I'd love to build you a custom bike with slightly heavier tubing and some Paragon drops... It would probably come in around the same weight as a Ridge though, and I'd probably have to charge more than Frank.

I do know that you'd love 650b wheels though....
-mickey

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mickey-

Thanks for the honest response. I'll send Frank an email and see what he thinks. His sliders looked really trick from the pics I saw.

I'll send you an email in the next day if you don't mind. As much as I think a Ridge would be great, I always have a strong wanting for steel frames.

I agree about the 650B wheels. I wasn't really turned on by the 29er stuff even after riding one and I'm not one for new standards but the 650B seems like it makes sense. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another Ridge-like option (although also quite a bit different) would be a Soul Cycles Icon - Cracked Headtube has photos of it on his blog with 650b hoops.

I'd say your rim options are best served with Velocity Blunts and or the Sun Ringle Equalizer rims.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
You know, I think I clipped out the geometry chart for that in a furtive editing spurt the other day. When I get back to the office I'll try to fix that...

We normally build a medium and a medium/large. The medium is 17"/23"/12"/17"/72/70
The larger is 18.5/23.6/17/72/70. That's based on a 4" fork and quasimotos...
I didn't catch this post earlier. Your STA is really 72*? That is really cool, and the bike sounds good. I think I understand those number you listed, but I'm not 100% sure. Is 17" short for 650B wheels?

Whats the pricing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.