Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Over the weekend I finally had an opportunity to demo a Smash.
I was very impressed with how it pedaled and the traction.

Now, the bike was setup with an EXT shock, and am wondering if the amazing traction was due to the shock itself or the bike? Would the traction have been different if it was a DPX2?

More specific to Guerilla Gravity bikes in general, how are the bike's long term performance? Are there any reoccurring issues with the bikes?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
No issues with my two Revved frames, though I did have one stripped pivot that I found when looking for a creak, GG replaced it sight unseen and it was a quick swap.

Headset and BB, pretty much all pivots, are noise free and have remained tight. I have managed to tweak my derailleur hanger a few times, not unexpected the way I ride, but a quick adjustment with an alignment tool and away we go.

Honestly, I have two buddies locally who ride GG and between us we have no issues and really like our bikes (Shred, Pistola x 2, Smash).

I have run coil and air shocks, personally I find no difference in traction, but I do find coil shocks to be kinda flat, so I prefer a poppier ride. Either way, GG bikes climb like goats as long as you have the horsepower.

The best attribute other than ride quality and suspension feel is the adaptability of the GG bikes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues with my two Revved frames, though I did have one stripped pivot that I found when looking for a creak, GG replaced it sight unseen and it was a quick swap.

Headset and BB, pretty much all pivots, are noise free and have remained tight. I have managed to tweak my derailleur hanger a few times, not unexpected the way I ride, but a quick adjustment with an alignment tool and away we go.

Honestly, I have two buddies locally who ride GG and between us we have no issues and really like our bikes (Shred, Pistola x 2, Smash).

I have run coil and air shocks, personally I find no difference in traction, but I do find coil shocks to be kinda flat, so I prefer a poppier ride. Either way, GG bikes climb like goats as long as you have the horsepower.

The best attribute other than ride quality and suspension feel is the adaptability of the GG bikes.
Thanks Ben!

I was very impressed with its climbing prowess. I actually ride a V1 Ripmo which is also a great climber, but the Smash was even better which was an eyeopener!

Which shock are you running?

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I'm partial to the Manitou Mara Pro, I've got two different sizes, both work great on the GG bikes, but these shocks are hard to source.

I think the DPX2 is okay if you're willing to play with it, maybe the X2 would be better on big hit bikes...

I think coils work fine, but I've had a few and they just feel too damp and they weigh a ton. I much prefer a coil fork, esp. the Smashpot.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Hi folks,

Over the weekend I finally had an opportunity to demo a Smash.
I was very impressed with how it pedaled and the traction.

Now, the bike was setup with an EXT shock, and am wondering if the amazing traction was due to the shock itself or the bike? Would the traction have been different if it was a DPX2?

More specific to Guerilla Gravity bikes in general, how are the bike's long term performance? Are there any reoccurring issues with the bikes?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I'm on a 2018 metal Smash and the traction is excellent as good as any other bike I have owned. That was true with the stock RS Super Deluxe coil and with the now Vorsprung custom tuned shock. I'm finally about to swap in new bearings before spring 2021. :)

My GF has a 2019 Revved Smash. No issues, but the Revved bikes are too new for long term durability reports. Based on the wrenching I've done on her bike I have no concerns. :thumbsup:

We plan to ride these bikes for many more years out here in Coastal BC. :cool:

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Unlike the Ibis, you can run either air or coil.

There are three revisions of the Megatrail. There are plenty of people still riding v1 and v2. Plenty of v1 smashes around too.

I have two Revved frames: I’m not hesitant to take it down anything. The bike might outlast me.

Check your bolts every few rides, like you would do with any bike. They’ll be fine.

GG CS is some of the best around. If something goes wrong, they’ll straighten it out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have close to a year on a Pistola and its been rock solid. I do have a knocking type noise when descending and have never been able to pinpoint. There is no play in the pivots or shock. The headset is torqued to spec with no play in the cups, but it seems to be coming from there. One of the beauties of this bike is that it is easy to service when needed.

·
battle stag commander
206 Posts
I have close to a year on a Pistola and its been rock solid. I do have a knocking type noise when descending and have never been able to pinpoint. There is no play in the pivots or shock. The headset is torqued to spec with no play in the cups, but it seems to be coming from there. One of the beauties of this bike is that it is easy to service when needed.

What fork are you running?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
Another one that can attest to the long term survivability. Been riding with Nurse_Ben for a while and actually I got my Smash before he got his, whatever he is running now... LOL...

Anyways, the only gripe I have had with the bike is that the rear derailleur hanger has a tendency to come loose after a month or two of riding (riding probably 50 miles a week or more). This then becomes apparent with shifting issues in the higher (granny) gears even with the Blue Loc-Tite added. So I have gotten into the habit of checking the rear hanger screw when I check air pressures.

Outside of that, I have found that the shock does make a difference in rear traction. I currently run a RS Super Deluxe Coil and find that it is a great shock for traction. However, I am finding that I want something that is more "poppy and fun" than this as the main premise of the coil is to keep the bike planted to the ground. I will be upgrading to a Mara Pro in the near future as I previously had a McLeod on my old trail bike and have never had a better rear shock.

Still feel that this is probably one of the best pedaling and descending trail bikes that burgeons on enduro (light) bike. I run mine with a RS Lyrik RC2 w/ MRP Ramp control at 160mm up front and feel this is a great setup (aside from the fact that the Lyrik is finicky).

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've also been beating on a Pistola with DPX2 since May 2019. Probably around 1000 miles, many big jumps and drops likely outside it's intended range of use. It has been absolutely rock solid. I like the DPX2 for what it is and it is better than any of the other RS or Fox air shocks I've had in the past. No doubt you will have no trouble riding hard and having fun on a Smash with DPX2. That said, I have an 11-6 on my alloy megatrail and no doubt a high end coil is a different riding experience in terms of traction and control. I don't think a DPX2 will keep you from enjoying a Smash and if you prioritize weight and lively pop, you may like air better.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know this is not specifically the correct forum, but am considering selling my Revved Pistola. It is in excellent condition and has been professionally maintained. If interested, PM me.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
I know this is not specifically the correct forum, but am considering selling my Revved Pistola. It is in excellent condition and has been professionally maintained. If interested, PM me.
You should start a separate thread for that, and include pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts