Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I will attempt to document the process.

I received the Medium pack today & am proceeding to build it up "as is" to get a feel for the frame itself. I will then begin to experiment with some different configurations over the next couple weeks to determine my ideal build. Along the way I will try & add some thoughts & data points as they make themselves available.

.....now to build it up!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Man! I had no idea the DHXc added that much weight.
On a side note, now I gotta sell my yellow Alpine scale and get one of those Spanky RED ones.

This should be a fun project. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....ready for a test ride. Bad news to the Med. Pack crowd....the 66 SL does make contact with the downtube. It just touches, but enough to leave a mark in the paint. Looks like I will have to go for the Ventana race myself....anyone know where to get one?

Gratuitous Basement Shot

PS. Ssinga, I'm in the same boat as you...I need a 0-300 PSI pump to give the DHX air a run. 'Zocchi only goes to 200!

·
Registered
730 Posts
jncarpenter said:
....ready for a test ride. Bad news to the Med. Pack crowd....the 66 SL does make contact with the downtube. It just touches, but enough to leave a mark in the paint. Looks like I will have to go for the Ventana race myself....anyone know where to get one?
Larry had 6 in stock Monday and they all sold by Saturday! Maybe he's already ordered some more?

Either that or SSINGA has a box full ;)

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Looks like I will have to go for the Ventana race myself....anyone know where to get one?
Uhhh.....Ventana? ;)

Mtn High had a couple on the shelf. I snagged a 7mm and I saw a couple of 3mm races.

Edit: Opps. Missed Paul's post and I haven't been to MHC since Weds. Ventana then.

·
Registered
168 Posts
nice pack

Thanks for posting the frame wts. I'm going to be building a pack soon as well, (also white w/ DHX air) only i'll have an 05 z1up front. It's cheaper and I think it will be just fine for me. Sounds like a few of you guys are Front Rangers, I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for other Turner's out on the trails :)

Happy New Year!!!!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...a shot of the 5 Pack.

...just bouncing on it in the basement, it seems very strange. Somehow the coil feels much more firm on the 5 PAck then it did on the 5 Spot. Need some trail time to confirm...

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
....Urban Legend Caught On Film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies & GentleHomers, I present to you the ever-elusive JACKALOPE!

...amazing feeling ride! Exactly what I have been trying to accomplish. Very stiff & burly feeling, yet weighing in at a svelte 33.03 lbs in this configuration. I must say, early impressions on the DHXa are very favorable.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
JN -- is the front triangle switch a pain in the rear?

I've been thinking about dropping some coin on a Pack front triangle and either switching front ends depending on where I'm riding or maybe just selling off the Spot front and roll with the 5-Pack for good.

Are your plans to switch back and forth or is the frankenturner a permanent setup? How much travel are you running on the 66?

Smooth ride BTW, the white triangle bookended by the black fork and rear is killer.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AK Chris said:
JN -- is the front triangle switch a pain in the rear?

I've been thinking about dropping some coin on a Pack front triangle and either switching front ends depending on where I'm riding or maybe just selling off the Spot front and roll with the 5-Pack for good.

Are your plans to switch back and forth or is the frankenturner a permanent setup? How much travel are you running on the 66?

Smooth ride BTW, the white triangle bookended by the black fork and rear is killer.
...I plan to switch off the rear tri's for different terrain. You really need the spot rear stays to achieve a XC-ish feel with the 5" setup. My longterm plan is to sell the Spot & buy the TNT rear spot stays & rocker. I really like the 2 very different feels the setups achieve. FWIW....I basically swapped the components from the Spot, added the 66Sl (a tad heavier fork) & with the DHXa swap I ended up with a 1/2# lighter rig with the RF5. 66 is set to 6" with the 6 x 6 setup & 5" with the 5 x 5 setup. Eventually, the front tri will be PC'd black (of course). White is cool & all, just not my motif ;)

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
weight

jncarpenter said:
...a couple weights of interest:

Large Spot front triangle = 3.59 #

Medium Pack front triangle = 3.66#

...surprising but true! 1.12 Oz. difference....sweet!
....weenie! :D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.