Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after three seasons on the original equipment, I would like to replace the drivetrain on my 2008 Trek Fuel EX8. After a few good rental & demo experiences, I would like to give a 3x9 SRAM X.0 system a try. If I plan to run a 22/32/44 crankset and a SRAM 9sp 11-32 cassette, will I need a long-cage or mid-cage X.0 rear derailleur? I would love to hear from someone with direct experience.

FYI: I already asked two local shops; one said long, the other said mid!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A general rule of thumb of thumb is:

1x9 = Short Cage
2x9 = Mid
3x9 = Long

However, technically you could run a mid cage on a triple. I personally would run a long.

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I appreciate your input, guys! I did spend some time researching this online. (I did find a good sticky in the mtbr.com "Drivetrain" forum!) So a long-cage RD seems to be the best bet, but a mid-cage might be possible. I will be forging ahead and ordering a long-cage X.0 RD; but am I right in interpreting that using a mid-cage RD on a 3x9 might reduce chain-slap, but you would need to be much more careful with your shifting?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Did you test ride any bikes with an X9 drivetrain? You could save a boatload by using X9 over X0. The only X0 part I notice a difference is the 990 cassette over a 970 or 980. Are you planning on buying a crankset or just chainrings? In my opinion Shimano cranks are a big step above SRAM/Truvative, especially the external bearing cranksets.

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
Do you really need that big chain ring? If not then ditch it, put on a BBG Bashguard, and get a medium cage XO. This will gain you more ground clearance.

On a side note, cages can be removed from XO derailluers and the spring tension can be increased by moving it to a different positioning hole. This would help with chain slap somewhat on a long cage XO.

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ssalmons said:
Did you test ride any bikes with an X9 drivetrain? You could save a boatload by using X9 over X0. The only X0 part I notice a difference is the 990 cassette over a 970 or 980. Are you planning on buying a crankset or just chainrings? In my opinion Shimano cranks are a big step above SRAM/Truvative, especially the external bearing cranksets.
I have found most of last year's 3x9 X.0 components (NIB) on big discount at local shops, but I have not found any X.9 stuff (except for a FD) in the bargain bins. Plus, I have been hoarding some LBS gift cards. Should be minimal out-of-pocket to go to X.0. I am planning on using a 990 cassette.

P.S. I haven't decided on the crankset/chainrings yet...

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kmacon said:
Do you really need that big chain ring? If not then ditch it, put on a BBG Bashguard, and get a medium cage XO. This will gain you more ground clearance.
I thought about it, but a vast majority of the riding I do is definitely more XC/trail riding as opposed to AM. I use the big ring far more than I need the clearance for what and where I ride. That's why I got a Fuel EX in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.