Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be vacationing in the Colorado Springs region next week. I am primarily a roadie, but I would like to find some long, non-technical off-road climbs. Can anyone recommend some trails for me to check-out?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yzfrr11 said:
I am going to be vacationing in the Colorado Springs region next week. I am primarily a roadie, but I would like to find some long, non-technical off-road climbs. Can anyone recommend some trails for me to check-out?
Theres a lot of uphill in the cheyenne canyon area of town (kind of south west). Palmer trail is about 4 miles up. Mt. Herman in monument has some fun xc type stuff too, although not quite as long as a lot of the cheyenne canyon stuff

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try

For non-technical try the dirt roads.
Gold Camp is an interval favorite around here. It stays at a consistent rail road grade for 10 miles or so. The first 2 miles are open to traffic the rest is closed. Usually a nice 1 hour climb or so.

Rampart Range Road is a little steeper and open to traffic all the way up to a resivor that you could do a lap and ride home or take a trail off the ridge. Around 1:30 or so to the top

I am not sure what you consider technical but there is always Barr trail up Pikes Peak. I don't consider it technical but it does have a lot of switchbacks and rocks but it is all ridable up to barr camp which is around 1:30-2:00 worth of climbing from there it gets real technical and some walking involved.

I am not sure what you consider a long climb. For me it is over an hour. Most of the trails in Cheyenne canyon are not technical but not as long either unless you loop a bunch together.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Gold Camp

yzfrr11 said:
As someone else mentioned, Gold Camp Road is the way to go. It used to be the railroad between CS and Cripple Creek. The first section is paved, the second is gravel and then you hit a 5-6 mile section with no cars. There are plenty of nice views and the climb is a railroad grade. I think there are 5 tunnels too (one collapsed) which add an interesting element (unless you are afraid of the dark in which case, the 5th tunnel is a bad idea). You can ride all the way to Cripple Creek if you have the urge. Another variation is to hit High Drive on your return trip which would add another 600 feet of vertical with a long gravel road downhill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.