Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im part of an automotive forum, and a few of us enjoy biking and try to get some other guys from the group to go as well.. most are newbies so we dont want to be killing them on grueling climbs, but its nice to ride fun places too.. were looking for rides 10-15 miles long, bay area or sac is fine.

has to avoid drops, or have very easy bail out routes.. and should be able to climb it with a group of new guys (its discouraging to have the new guys pushing their bike the whole time).

weve done china camp and salmon falls.. a small group of us did demo, and that wouldnt work out again :D any other good trail suggestions? would strongly prefer single track.

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Connector Trail / Forest Hill Divide Loop / Connector Trail

tomsmoto said:
im part of an automotive forum, and a few of us enjoy biking and try to get some other guys from the group to go as well.. most are newbies so we dont want to be killing them on grueling climbs, but its nice to ride fun places too.. were looking for rides 10-15 miles long, bay area or sac is fine.

has to avoid drops, or have very easy bail out routes.. and should be able to climb it with a group of new guys (its discouraging to have the new guys pushing their bike the whole time).

weve done china camp and salmon falls.. a small group of us did demo, and that wouldnt work out again :D any other good trail suggestions? would strongly prefer single track.
Hi Toms,

Perfect ride to fit your description is Connector Trail / Forest Hill Divide Loop / Connector Trail. Check out the ride description / directions here:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...all-other-areas/trail/PRD_165075_4518crx.aspx

and

http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/Sierra-Central/ForesthillDivide

Have fun,

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
New Melones?

New Melones has great scenery and plenty of beginner (marked "intermediate" on the map) trails that are fun. Carson creek is short and flat but good for a warm up when coupled with Fronteir. For a fun 4 mi or so loop, hit Angel Creek Trail. If you ride it clockwise, it's not flat, but also doesn't have any major climbs and the back side has some really fun roller-coaster style dips. If they are not tired by then, add Buckbrush to your ride. You can park at the Angel Creek Day Use Area and after the ride, jump in the water to cool off.

There is a map on Steve's page here

-Bill

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
When I first started Mt biking, I was riding Saratoga Gap, which is pretty mellow.

(Only problem is that we would climb charcoal road to get there. We didn't know any better until about a year later.)

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Sheesh.. If I had a climb Charcoal Rd every time I wanted to ride I wouldn't have lasted more than 2 weeks.

grrrah said:
When I first started Mt biking, I was riding Saratoga Gap, which is pretty mellow.

(Only problem is that we would climb charcoal road to get there. We didn't know any better until about a year later.)

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Granite bay at Folsom lake has a pretty nice swoopy singletrack loop thats about 5mi and you can couple it with a few other trails that are mixed singletrack/fireroad for a pretty nice ride thats 13-15mi depending on where you go. I havent ridding the folsom side of the lake but theres some threads with maps posted somewhere on here as well.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Rockville Park.

It's located right between the Bay Area and Sac (in Fairfield), and the climbs can be fire-roads, and there are some short and easy singletrack trails there to ride too. The park is small and full of different trails, so you're never far from your car or from a different trail.

-B

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Wilder Ranch has singletrack and aesthetic

Wilder has been a haven of LEGAL singletrack for 20 yrs - that's how long I've been riding there. Climbs are short and mild, middle ring climbs - views are fantastic - and fun singletrack abounds, 30+ miles of it. And then there's Gray whale and neighboring social trails.... the Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz has a Weekly club ride through Wilder, happens every Saturday, meets at 10 am at the Corral.

http://www.mbosc.org/

There's plenty of places to grub in Santa Cruz and the talent (i.e. pretty girls) are everywhere.

Santa Cruz is a mtn bikers paradise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
China Camp. Take it up to the Nike Missile Silo then to the backside into Harry Barber Park then out to the shore and back, it is 12 miles of relatively easy singletrack, but fun for the experts because of the speed you ride at.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,221 Posts
tomsmoto said:
If you don't mind shuttling there is a fun, long ride that is not very technical in Auburn.

Park a car in the auburn confluence area then drive east to drivers flat, I think around 15-17 miles. Park at drivers flat and take the Foresthill Divide trail back towards the car, turn right onto connector, and when you get to the end of connector you can either make a short climb to ride the culvert trail (moderately technical) or take the short way down. Then you finish on confluence trail which is moderately technical but rideable.

The ride is something like 15 miles with very little climbing and very little technical riding. I can get you some more details on the route if you'd like. I think it would be a good route for reasonably fit people who are just getting into mountain biking.

The bummer... you gotta drive back to pick up the car at the end.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,455 Posts
Bullards Bar Reservoir up past Auburn, if you don't mind a bit of a drive from Sac.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Lots of flowy singletrack down at Fort Ord if you don't mind the drive now and then. Stick to the northern trails that start around 8th and Gigling.

·
Registered
225 Posts
0gre said:
If you don't mind shuttling there is a fun, long ride that is not very technical in Auburn.

Park a car in the auburn confluence area then drive east to drivers flat, I think around 15-17 miles. Park at drivers flat and take the Foresthill Divide trail back towards the car, turn right onto connector, and when you get to the end of connector you can either make a short climb to ride the culvert trail (moderately technical) or take the short way down. Then you finish on confluence trail which is moderately technical but rideable.

The ride is something like 15 miles with very little climbing and very little technical riding. I can get you some more details on the route if you'd like. I think it would be a good route for reasonably fit people who are just getting into mountain biking.

The bummer... you gotta drive back to pick up the car at the end.
Im interested in this! Where can I find more info?

Me and a couple buddies went to Auburn/Forest Hill a couple weekends ago, but im not sure which trails we were on.

·
Registered
780 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts