Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions of trails/trail systems that can be toured for a week or two on a mountain bike, camping with some access to services. I was planning on doing the CT in July, but my dad is in cancer treatment and just don't have quite enough vacation time to spend time with him and take the 3 weeks off I was going to need to travel to and complete the CT. 2008 now...but anyway...
What are the other "long-distance" options out there that one could easily travel to and from? By easy travel, I mean comparable to the CT travel of flying into Denver, piecing it together to get to the trailhead, and then flying out of Durango. I'm based in the Asheville NC area.
Any and all suggestions welcomed...sorry about the rambling request.
Edit: Note that am specifically looking for systems to "tour," or carry my gear with me. Not for places I can camp at as a homebase with lots of riding nearby.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Mike,

You may want to check out the C&O Canal Towpath. It starts in Washington DC and runs to Cumberland MD. It is 186 miles long. I believe that there are some campsites along the route. I rode 42 miles on it on Monday and it was great. The only thing is that it is not a "mountain biking" trail. The part I rode was pretty flat, natural surface about vehicle width wide. I went up beyond Great Falls, and the scenery was beautiful. Obviously, the closer you get to DC, the more use the towpath gets, but the part that I was on was well maintained. I turned around at mile 24 and headed back to mile marker three. This may be a bit closer to NC, although I'm sure that a rockies trip will offer a more challenging ride. Here's a link http://bikewashington.org/canal/

·
This place needs an enema
17,240 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I'm looking for suggestions of trails/trail systems that can be toured for a week or two on a mountain bike, camping with some access to services.
The Grand Loop might fit your bill. Combination of the Kokopelli, Tabeguache, and Paradox Trails, for a total of ~340 miles. Fly into and out of Grand Junction and pretty much ride the route right from the aeropuerto. Limited services on the route, but enough to get by on for sure. Lots of options and bailouts as well.

MC

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
AZT maybe. Fly into Tucson ride to Flagstaff and fly outta there.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikesee- The Grand Loop is a great idea. That's just enough shorter, plus losing leisure stops in Leadville, Salida, etc., would make it fit into the available time. Correct me if wrong, however, but July would not be a good plan for GL- more like Sept-Oct?? I'm thinking heat...and the later days would work work fine.

YuriB- I'll look at the AZT option, but know I lived in Flag years ago and have done lot of that riding already, although not as a long distance tour. The idea of doing something/going places I haven't been strikes the chord I want to hear- but I'll check it out as well. I do recall the route near Flag passing super close to the airport by Marshall Lake, so that end would at least be covered.

Thanks a million for the suggestions.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.