Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What trails have you ridden in GA that had extra long descent sections? Not talking about massive elevation loss over short distance - talking about long distance with <0 altitude gain.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Two come to mind

Bear Creek west of Ellijay is probably my favorite long descent. It is just fast and fun without being too over the top. My hands are always tingling when I get to the bottom due to the length. Second would be the Bear Hair trail at Bull Mountain. Definitely more technical than Bear Creek and a harder climb to get there. Not as long as Bear Creek either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bull / Bare Hair

Taking Bare Hair back down to Bull Mt. then continuing down the single track to the parking lot is about a 5 mile run, mostly downhill. There are three short, but difficult climbs on the way, but overall it is one heck of a romp. My favorite way of doing Bull is to go up the single track and continue up on Bare Hair (clockwise) then enjoy the short downhill on Bare Hair until you reach the FS road. Continue down thru the gate and turn right at the first road. This is the old Bull Mt trail. Ride it back up to the intersection of Bare Hair, turn left and have a blast.

A whimpy option (perfect for old farts) is to ride up Bull and Bare Hair and on back down to where Bare Hair turns into FS road. Turn around there and ride back the way you came. Tons of fun with just a couple of portage spots.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Sure have

And the addition of it made the place one of my favorites. I am thinking about climbing up from the Bear Creek trail to the top and reversing next time I am up there just to change it up. The one thing that I wish could be improved is the water breaks on the backside of Pinhoti. I am sure they serve their purpose, but they sure are abrupt and spoil that lovely downhill singletrack.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
28 B & G, no-tell and Turner's Creek are a little further down FS28 from the Bull parking lot. Two good DH sections preceeded by two good climbs. I think this is what is considered Jake Mtn. I've always known it by the names listed above. I prefer these trails over the Bull Mtn trails.:D The climbs cover alot of Fire roads but the DH is pure singletrack.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although I was not quite sure if it was clever editing or just a super long descent, the video of bear creek was what got me thinking of this in the first place.
I have been riding for about 6 months at this point but due to my proximity to blankets creek (I live across the street basically) it is real hard to get motivated to load up the bike and go elsewhere. Getting bored with Dwelling 8-10x per week tho. Was going to head to bear creek last weekend but the weather was a bit uncooperative. Maybe i'll try to hit it next week.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Nope

It isn't clever editing. Once you get to the overlook, you can either go up the fire road another few hundred yards to the upper BC parking lot, or simply turn around. It is pretty much as the video showed. Of course they didn't show the climb up Pinhoti which will get your attention, but it is worth it. FYI, Bear Creek drains pretty well so it would probably be OK this weekend if the mood strikes you.

Wow, dwelling 8 to 10 times weekly. Dude, you need to get out some! Especially if you already live that far north, there is a wonderful world of agony and ectasy awaiting you in Ellijay or Blue Ridge. Tanasi is also a lot of fun if you don't mind going a little further north.

·
Hooligan
680 Posts
zenorb said:
What trails have you ridden in GA that had extra long descent sections? Not talking about massive elevation loss over short distance - talking about long distance with <0 altitude gain.
Heres my list:

1. Bear Creek - better than 5 miles of downhill, if you start from the overlook and take it all the way down to the road. (in my video, you see alot of the Bear creek downhill, then I edited out the climbing on pinhoti) - I have friends from FL that run this as a shuttle

2. Bull mountain - including bull, bare hare, turner creek, no tell, etc. You pay for the downhills here with lots of climbing

3. Windy Gap - long technical downhill - but the climb to get to the top of the windy gap cycle trail is BRUTAL

4. Mountaintown - climb up bear creek trail - over on the forest service road - long downhill that flattens out and crosses a stream(s) maybe 10+ times - lots of climbing to get to the top

5. Iron Mountain - summer loop - lots of climbing to get there and a river ford at the bottom. I thought this was one of the best downhills I had ever done in 2000 the first time I rode it, but it was pretty torn up by horse traffic/erosion when I rode it again last year.

6. Thunderrock express at Tanasi - only 1.5 or 2 miles long but - fun fun fun. (just across the border in TN)

7. Chilhowee, just down the road from Tanasi has a good downhill

8. Stanley Gap/Aska road trails - lots of downhill here - ride it as an out and back - then add the flat creek loop (not flat) for about 15 miles with lots of climbing, and lots of downhill. see pictues and my video of stanley gap on this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=85168

or...

Right click and save as

Low Quality Video - 46.7MB
High Quality Video - 118MB

8. Stonewall Falls used to have a great downhill, but I understand it's torn up temporarily to put in a new powerline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can get an even better descent at Bear Creek if you ride up past the overlook and the parking area all the way to the top of the fire road.
Another add-on descent (with a lot of climbing to get there) is to ride up and then down Winding Stairs after finishing Bull Mountain--the Stairs are fire road, but still fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the video

Great trail. A little too much climbing for my taste but worth the effort. A bonus is the spectacular view from the top, particularly in the spring and fall.

I pulled a knee ligament last time on this trail. Not serious, but extremely painful and took forever to heal. Haven't been back since. Maybe it's time.

Yup. It's time. BTW - Stop by Cycle South Blueridge next time you are in the area. Good bike shop, Great owner. Also about the wrench around. Too bad he has to live in paradise!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any one been at Blythe Island GA yet?

I am making a trip to Southern Ga to visit relatives in June and they say there is a new trail at Blythe Island. Has anyone been there and if so do I need my FS or can a hardtail handle it ?
Also are there any single track within 30 miles of Saint Simon Island Ga ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.